Upgrade or PTT what I have?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMTJLR

Reaction score
Boat is WC 14 DLX Lund 2006 20 hp yamaha. Love the boat, but want power trim and tilt. On fence on what to do. Buy after market PTT like CMC or Panther, if so would bracket set up be to much for stern. Or do I upgrade to new 25 hp yamaha with PTT. Would I see a big difference from 20 to 25? Now the problem, what to do. My 20 hp is old but runs great and looks like new well maintained from previous owner. I would be happy with after market PTT on it. But it is old do I sell 20 hp and upgrade to 25 hp. Will be keeping boat long-term. What your opinion, THANKS.

If you know you're keeping the boat long-term then I would say get the new 25 hp motor. Then again it's hard for me to get rid of things just because they had some age on if they're working great. So to save money because you really don't need a new motor. Get the aftermarket. I would do the second choice since the boat is as old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your post doesn't show where you are from. If you fish very shallow water, then the setback will allow you to raise your engine a bit. That was ONE of the reasons that I bought a CMC PTT for a 14 ft Carolina Skiff many years ago.

If shallow running isn't much of a consideration, and you have the budget, I'd buy the new motor because you want to keep the boat for a long time. That way, you kill two birds with one purchase. Sooner or later your older motor is going to die, and you want PTT now.

Just one old fart's opinion, of course.

richg99

I just ordered a boat and inquired about the new Yamaha 25. I was told only the remote style is available with power tilt/trim, and the tiller model is not.

Manual tilt only for the tiller.

I'm praying I was told wrong, but it doesn't look that way.

https://www.bobsmachine.com/Clamp-on-motor-tilt-and-trim-Action-Series-40HP-100-701100.htm

14593430210651929818322.jpeg

I'm a big fan of Bob's. They are a local co. and I have always had good luck with their goods but please do due diligence on this T@T and look for reviews on it. I am not familiar with this particular product.

WARNING a Yamaha 25 HP will not fit on a CMC PT 35 frame. It is too wide and the PT 35 will not accept the bolt pattern. You have to go with a PT 130. I found out today when I was going to install one. The Yamaha bolt pattern is not only wider than the frame it is also longer from top to bottom.

CMC is aware of this but the dealer that shipped it to me wasn't prior to this.

Latest posts