Vintage Johnson Motor . . . $40

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PATRIOT

Reaction score
Saw this interesting posting for sale . . . prop won't turn, recoil is froze . . . think it's worth $40 to tinker with? Anyone have a clue as to the decade or size? Maybe you own one?

Attachments

• VintageJohnson.jpg
    VintageJohnson.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 820
  • VintageJohnson1.jpg
    VintageJohnson1.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 820
MY guess is running with no oil in the fuel or the wrong mix. Those were 25:1 engines.
So if it's seized, one or more pistons are stuck, rings stuck, or heaven help you, the Rod Bearings are seized to the crank although that's not likely.

If your gentle when you take it apart, you may get it working again.
It's the kind of thing I used to love.

As far as $40 goes, look on Ebay etc for that motor and see what parts are for sale or wanted.
It's your $40. None of us can say if its worth it or not. =D>

from the pics looks like a late 40's johnson td-20 mabe

5 horse but there is a 2 1/2 horse that looks very similar but i think its the 5

ebay you can get a used power head for like 40 bucks plus shipping witch is not much usually parts are cheap but used and ABUNDANT i run mine 16 to 1 i believe its supposed to be 8 oz oil to gallon of fuel

real easy to work on i haven't opened it up but if you were to just swap a power head i couldn't see it taking to long

compression should be in the 80 pound ranger to be optimum

run it 16 to 1

corn head grease from john deer in the lower unit

can still get water pump impellers they are a lil expensive coils and ignitian parts can be had as well points are expensive tho

good lil motor over all mine had been sitting for 20 years untouched on the back of my uncles porch beat to hell did a tune up soaked cylinders in sea foam made a new float out of cork runs like a champ wanna restore to original now

parts are cheap and easy to get yours hands on

That is 40.00 bucks well spent. Absolute worst case, you could part it out and recoup your money. I wouldn't though, but then again, I am a pack rat!

yea i see the lower shrouds goin for 30 on ebay and i need one gunna have to pull the trigger on one of them. the carb 35 plus and its one of the more common motors out there

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=johnson%20td-20&_sop=3

If you really want a motor of that style, and they are fun to tinker with, I would go to the aomci.org site and try to find a meet in your local area. That is a fairly common type motor and you should be able to find a running one for $50. I prefer the TN series myself, they have a neutral switch. You might also try some of your local boat shops, they may have one or two of those that have been hanging around for years that they would give you just to get rid of it. I am not sure of the exact model of the one you have shown but it would be a pre-50's engine.

Latest posts