Wabasis Lake Aug, 12,13 & 14

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iczer

Reaction score
Sorry, this ended up being an epic post rather than a fishing report.

So I've decided since I have my own aluminum boat now I would take bass fishing more seriously. I have been doing a lot of reading from various websites and books and basically everything I can get my hands on. i'm the type of person who loves a great challenge and right now there biggest challenge is to go to a new lake and first find the bass and second catch them. I live 5 minutes from a lake that I used to fish at many years ago so I decided with a few days to myself to hit that lake and see if I have learned anything from all this reading.

The first thing I did was take a look at the DNR topo map of the lake to find out what it looks like properly. After pouring over the map for a few hours I decided to take a drive to the lake with my lighter spinning pole, my baitcaster and a bag of plastics and cranks/topwaters. I didn't bring the boat because it was late and I wouldn't have time to do all the boating stuff necessary to make it worth while so I just walked around the shore where I could near the boat launch and after an hour I had produced 2 bass, both 8 inch, from the shore just as it started to get dark. I planned on going back in the boat in the morning. Mother nature decided to throw me a curveball and it stormed early in the morning which delayed me a bit but after all was said and done I launched the boat about 9am and sat there at the opening to the main part of the lake going "Uhhh, where do I start?"

I immediately started on the NW shoreline just off the boat launch where the shore turned towards the lake to make a small cove. I started throwing a spinnerbait, probing the shallower water for active fish then switched to a banjo minnow setup with a weight to make it sink a bit faster ... still nothing, then switched to a 4" yum dinger on a 3/0 hook. Nothing, so I moved along to a few similar areas which produced nothing. After doing this along the shoreline for about 3 hours I scored my first bass, 6 inches, on the banjo minnow that was hiding up under some lilly pads. After that one I couldn't get any others to bite so I moved on ... this continued for the rest of the day until about 3pm when the weather started to look ominous so I headed back towards the boat launch. When I got there I decided to throw a few more casts while waiting for the other boaters to load their boats. On a whim I tried a square bil shallow running crankbait that resembled a pearch and BAM I had a nice 10 inch bass (https://i56.tinypic.com/2r6n11e.jpg). Trying to reproduce what I did with the crankbait yielded me no more bass but along the outer edge of the weedline a 16" pike hit the bait (https://i54.tinypic.com/2ivjwra.jpg). The other boaters cleared the docks so I made my exit just as a heavy thunderstorm rolled in. I went home and was trying to remember the times and presentations I had used and how it related to what I had read. All the reading about crankbaits having to bash and bump into stuff to elicit a strike was dead on so I felt like I made progress.

Sunday came and the weather was gloomy but the forecast showed no rain for the rest of the day so I headed back to the lake and got on the water around 10am. I immediately headed strait for the place I had caught the fish from the day before and worked that same cove area for about 2 hours but had no luck. The night before I had read a lot of articles about structure fishing and the topic that kept popping up was fishing points so I decided today that I was going to work on fishing the points of this lake and see if I could find the fish that "should" be there. I found a point that was also part of a public beach so I parked my boat about 30 yards from the shore in 22 feet of water and started fan casting the area with a Strike King chartreuse & red bleeding bait spinnerbait. When I got to the right side of the point where the drop came up into 5 feet of water from 20 I landed my first bass of the day (https://i52.tinypic.com/2hcm1ph.jpg). I kept working back and forth across the point and about 15 mins later on the opposite side of the point I landed bass number 2 (https://i56.tinypic.com/123y554.jpg). Bass number 3 came on the same side as the first in the exact same area (https://i53.tinypic.com/2n7dsuv.jpg). After the third bass the bites stopped so I moved on looking for other points to try and reproduce the same pattern. None of the other points I found produced any bass, so after a few hours I decided to go back to the point where I had scored the three fish. When I got there and anchored the boat I noticed a lot of top water activity along the right side of the point and behind me. The bass were feeding on minnows and they were on the surface all over so I cast my spinner right into the middle of the action and a bass took it seconds after it hit the water (https://i52.tinypic.com/241ugwx.jpg). I quickly threw back to the same spot and BAM another bass took it instantly (https://i55.tinypic.com/e6ypsl.jpg). I decided all this picture taking was costing me more bass in the boat so I threw out again into the splashing frenzy and caught another. The feeding bass were moving closer to the shore up one side of the point so I again threw into the mass but the wind took my lure into some thick above surface vegetation and I was snagged. Noooooooooooo! I had to unanchor and motor over to where it was snagged but as i rounded the vegetation i forgot to slack the line and it broke off. I searched for the lure to no avail for about 15 mins so I tied on a heavier spinner of the same kind and color but could get no takers. Thinking the smaller bait was more effective I switched to a blue/yellow spinner of the same size as the one I lost and cast into the frenzy again and again but none would hit it. I tried other baits, banjo minnows of a few colors, a yum dinger, other spinner baits of same size but different colors but nothing. Finally calling it a day I headed for the boat dock to head home around 5:30pm.

To cap the day off, which was awesome by the way, I hooked the boat up and as I jumped from the boat to the dock I landed on some slippery part of it and nearly busted my ankle! Its all swollen and I can barely walk on it now but I don't care, I had a great day of fishing wooooo.

Buddy used to live on Wabasis Lake. Im going to assume its the same one your talking about, Greenville, MI?, since its an odd name. We had more luck in the southeast cove in the spring. The bass spawn back there and you could catch a limit in an hour. Never caught any monsters out there but didn't spend the time to really dissect the lake considering theres alot of other lakes around the area we were more familiar with. Theres also a channel on the east side that opens up to another area that we caught some in. Anyway good luck theres some good fishing out there.

Yup thats the lake :D Every time I go there the west shoreline has a boat on every point. I went down in that SE cove you mentioned, there looked like a public campground there and at the very end was some kind of stream. I had no luck down there but it was also very windy and the chop was bad so I kept bouncing closer to shore and abandon that area.