What boat to buy?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonboatboy

Reaction score
Hello Tinboats. New to the posting part of this site but Im a vet from reading on here. Im wanting everyones opinion on a new jon boat. I want to start off by saying I currently fish out of a 1232 jon that has heavy duty deck built up front with a 43# thrust trolling motor and a 80 something model 9.8 mercry I got from a buddy who was the second owner of the boat it came off of. Motor is the cleanest outboard Ive ever seen. Im wanting to stay around a 1000 bucks cause times are hard but Im wanting something that doesnt tip like my 12 footer so this summer I can take my ole lady and my 1 year old out to see what lifes all about on the water. I found a Weldbuilt 1448 scratch and dent at a local dealer for 1100. Its super sturdy looking and it has a self arreated livewell which is a must for my new boat off to the left side. It also has aluminum fishing deck with pedistool mount up front. My only concern is that I want to use my 9.8 but Im scared it wont push a bigger boat fast enough to suit me. My 1232 does 14mph with me (165lbs) and all my gear. It also is only rated for a 6hp and sits up past the rib on the side of the boat in the water(rides heavy in the water). If I could get this 1448 and my 9.8 push it about the same speed I would be happy. Ive watched Craigslist and looked at alot of boats but decided I was tired of wasteing gas and time looking at other peoples junk so I said Ima get a jon until my family out grows it. I mainly fish Barren river but Ill visit Barren River Lake and Green river from time to time here in Kentucky. Any and all opinions and info. about other boats that would would fit my needs/price range will be greatly appreciated. Ive seen alot of smart guys on here and this site has been my come to place for ideas so I know theres alot of knowledge and great ideas out there. I hope to hear from yall soon and God bless.

I'd grab that 1448 in a heartbeat. For what you seem to want and your budget, you probably will not find a better deal. As far as the 9.8 pushing your 1448, it should plane the boat out with you by yourself (14 - 17 MPH), but probably not with the family (6 - 9 MPH). These are just my guesses, baseed on my 1448 w/ a 8 HP. I would take comfort over speed.

Good luck.

Seems like you already have your motor situation locked up but, just something I have found from taking my 4 year old out with me.... I am about to sell my boat and work on fixing up a stick steer tracker panfish I just bought, it needs a ton of work, but It will be nice to be able to run the trolling motor and look for stumps out of the front of the boat and let my wife and son enjoy the ride instead of us having to jump back and forth. Just thought I would mention it. Any boat you can take your one year old out in will be a fun one. Lets get them trained up right. hahah

I agree warefishin trainem while their young. I went up to that boat shop with cash in hand this afternoon determined I was going to get that boat but when I got there an kept looking at it I got cold feet because it seemed like it was getting wider each time. It weighs 260 and say the 9.8 weighs 100lbs(not that much Im sure), a 25 or 30lb battery and im 166lbs and the boat still has to have a deck built up front and a floor in the bottom 100lbs guessing(has exposed ribs about 4in. tall) and Im up to about 650lbs. Hows your boat laid out Ictalurus and hows that 8 do on it? I worry because my trailer is 13 ft. long and 40in. wide from outside beam to outside beam and the axel is only rated up to 580lbs. but the thailer it self is rated for 800lbs. The boat would hang a foot off the back and sit 4in. over the fenders on each side so Now Im concerned my little trailer wont hold the boat. I looked at a 1542 tracker at first but tracker has a bad reputation of rivits leaking and welded seams cracking. The way I understant it my boat is a fisher and they are made by tracker and thats why Im hunting a new one now is because where the floor meets the transome has a 6in. hair crack and Ive siliconed it for two years in a row. It was only rated for a 6hp. but I reinforced the transome and put that 9.8 on it. It was bought brand new by me in 06 for 500 bucks so Ive gotten my money out of it. I wish I could afford a pan fish boat so I could fish up front and the ole lady and my boy could have play room in the back of the boat and I would never have to step over or past em. Youll like that warefishing. What would yall fine outstanding felas do if you was a poor country boy like myself but needed a new rig? I swear ill quit talking yall to death if you help me. LOL

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=339537#p339537 said:
jonboatboy » Today, 00:23[/url]"]Hows your boat laid out Ictalurus and hows that 8 do on it?

My 1448 is wide open; two pod seats in stern, no middle bench and a low front deck. I love my 8 HP, sips gas, trolls nice and is in great shape. With just me, it will plane, top speed of 15/16 MPH. Forget about it with two people, 6/7 MPH. I have an older 20 HP, but the 8 is what I use most, not in much of a hurry most of the time.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=339537#p339537 said:
jonboatboy » Today, 00:23[/url]"]What would yall fine outstanding felas do if you was a poor country boy like myself but needed a new rig?

Don't buy something cheap just to have it now, it will cost you more in the long run. I'd also stay away from the Tracker, my opinion, but others may say otherwise. Based on what you need the boat for, shoot for something with a 48" floor, 14' or 16' would work for you, wife and kid. Wider is always better. If you can't swing anything now, keep saving up and keep an eye out for decent used boat trailer combos, you'll either find what you want or save enough to buy new. If you buy something cheap now just to have it, you'll figure out it's not what you want by next year and will start the process over again.

You asked "what would you guys do?"...so

I'd make Craig's list and the local classifieds (if they still exist) my new hobby for the next three months, and find a used boat with the specs you want. Up here, I could find one for about $500, in good shape. (OK, maybe not in January, but starting early March on...when people can see open water and start thinking of fishing--but I'm in Wisconsin.)

You've got a good trailer, a solid, nice-sized, reliable engine...and time.

Best wishes, stay warm.

Well fellas. I just made it home at 1 in the morning. We went and stayed with family in Indiana Friday night and went to the boat show in Louisville Kentucky. Had a great time but 10 bucks a head was more then the show was worth but they had no jons. Everything there was 8 grand and over. Ole lady fel in love with a big 20 foot camo crestliner bout 6 foot wide at the floor lol 20000 bucks. We was disapointed in the show so we went to Basspro in Clarksville Indiana. First thing I did was look at the 1542 and I see why people say the things they do. Ive crushed beer cans that were made better then that flimsy thing. Somebody on here said or told me about g3 1448s and I looked em up online. Their 30lbs. lighter then the other ones I looked at and still made outta .074 gauge aluminum and they have 21in. sides. I know ima have to stretch my budget a bit but Ima check the price out anyways. If the 16in. transome height aint too tall that is I really think this might be my new jon. The same boat dealer that had the weldcraft has a real clean 2000 alumacraft tex special cs. 16ft long semi v minn kota edge 2001 50 hp. johnson with tilt trim and console steering. They started out at 5295 but dropped it to 4295. I talked to one of the girls that work there and she said the big guy wanted to move it along so ima call Monday and tell em Ill give 3000 cash same day and I might do 32 or 3500 but not a penny more and if he dont bite Ima get that g3 if they dont scare me to death. Anybody know about what they go for?

Well guys. Wish me luck. Im going tomorrow to buy that Alumacraft tex special. Ima have to come outta pocket more then expected but its got a rebuilt lower unit with everything new a new battery and and new fuel tank. Ima post pics asap because im excited and I want all the feed back i can get.