When covering a gas tank, you might need a fire extingusher.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was checking my boat one last time before we took it out for the first after the mods and guest what I'd forgot. Yes the fire extinguisher.

When checking for rules and regulations what should you use for the boats length? Listed or actual length? I have all the required equipment but maybe a flare gun. My boat is called 1649 but actual is 15' 10".

Here ya go Texas boy, their website, if you call they will send you the brochure you want, but it's here on their website also. Just click on it and it should open for ya, good catchin, jus' sayin'

https://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/boat/safety/vessel_requirements/

Oldgeek said:
Good reminder to everyone. A cover gas tank and connected to the battery compartment is also a bad idea unless it is vented really well. If you've got gas on board then have an extinguisher. If you've never used one of the small ones, they don't last more than 20 seconds, so aim at the base of the fire. I had a small fire at my condo and barely got it out with a 10lb extinguisher.

Exactly what I was thinking. Positive ventilation is a must knowing those fumes will not only collect in your compartment, but if contained without ventilation, will also travel up the length of your boat in any open bilge areas.

Just to add to Rgpemt's "Third Rule", is where you stow your fire extinguisher. I know common sense says it's better to be moving away from rather than towards the fire to retrieve your extinguisher, but I've seen many a extinguisher mounted in close proximity to the engine.

Just my .02......