Which paint for transom?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddmann

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I’m new to the site and to boats. I recently purchased a 14’ aluminum jon boat and trailer pretty cheap. The boat needs painting and the wood on the transom was rotten. I’ve already removed the old transom and made a new one out of 2 pieces of plywood. I’ve coated the plywood with fiberglass resin and I’m allowing it to cure for a while (it’s been in the 30’s and 40’s this week). I want to lightly sand and paint the transom before putting it on the boat. What kind of primer and paint should I use to paint over the fiberglass resin on the wood? Also, the transom is 15 inches, but someone previously put a piece of aluminum on top of it to extend it to about 17 inches. Should I put that piece back on it, or leave it off? Most likely, I’ll never have more than a trolling motor on this boat. I’m adding a couple of photos. Thanks in advance for any replies.
79B8E0B1-2466-4158-8B3D-90D16D94EED1.jpeg02A02D8C-22AC-41EC-A70B-D23633249477.jpeg

I prime tin boats with zinc chromate self-etching primer. One can also wash it with white vinegar and a copper scrub brush beforehand, to clean it up- rinse well. Prime as soon as dry.

Rust-Oleum enamel paints is my choice for the tin or wood. I'd never use frp resin on plywood - but go for it.

I replaced my transom wood in October. I used West system epoxy resin. 2 coats of epoxy resin. Sanded. Applied 2 coats of automotive clear coat. Then installed it.
I used automotive base coat/clear coat to paint the rest of the boat.
Way back in 1986 I painted my Starcraft with single stage automotive paint. I retired that boat in 2015 but the paint was still fine at that time.

There is really no reason to paint the transom wood after you've applied resin. At that point it is mostly for aesthetics, you could paint it with whatever you wanted.

The transom riser is up to you. Sounds like you will only ever be using electric or small outboards, neither of which need a long transom. I'd chuck it, the electric will work either way, but it will limit you to mostly larger outboards should you decide to upgrade. Most <25hp outboards are short shafts.

Latest posts