Why the lake doesn't give people back

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driftless

Reaction score
Watched a vid of lake michigan being the most deadly of the great lakes. Turns out that's because of the number of people who drown there. Most of the drownings occur in the southern part, so that would make sense, numbers wise as milwaukee-chicago has a lot of people. It's shallower there too.
This vid was more for up north though.

"The lake doesn't give people back" is mostly true. Why this happens is when a person drowns, they lose their buoyancy and sink. Soon after you expire, the body begins to decompose, the bacteria inside each one of us goes to work. This produces gasses as a byproduct, then the body floats to the surface which aids in being found. But if the water is cold enough, this decomp doesn't happen. So the body stays in the cold depths. The lake doesn't give people back.

IIRC tahoe has a lot of bodies that haven't been recovered due to this. It's cold and deep. It'd make a great vid of a submersible going to such a place, in the deep, dark water, seeing bodies floating around. Surreal.

There are life preservers that are compact and activate when submerged or on a pull cord. I wear one of these when I'm on a great lake as my boat is too small, I'm alone, and it's usually dark. It doesn't get into the way.
anywho...

I've read the same about Lake Superior. I have a little bit of a fascination with great lakes shipwrecks like the Edmund Fitzgerald and the Daniel J Morrell, great stories.

I grew up in Minnesota and visited Duluth many times. It's a very cool city.

I live near the south shore of Michigan. The reason there are so many drownings is due to idiots, often intoxicated, some who can't even swim......jumping into the water! Blows my mind. The other big factor is we have wicked rip currents around here. They even put up signs saying stay out of the water, but I guess reading isn't really a requirement in many schools. Especially the ones in Chicago. Something like 90% of city HS students can't read at the 3rd grade level. Not being able to swim, being dumb as a stump, and rip currents means jumping into Michigan may well be the last thing you ever do.

I've always said that a PFD will NOT keep you from drowning, but it makes the body a LOT easier to find... morbid but true.
#1 Rule in my boat! "Life vest"! you wear it constantly from time you step into boat until time you leave boat. or you don't ride in boat! I don't care how good of a swimmer you are it's my rule and that's it!!!

I know I'm probably an outlier, but from the moment I launch the boat, I never take my PFD off, never, not even for a second, no matter how uncomfortable it gets.
I would rather go home with a lil rubb rash from a vest then not go home at all!

I live near the south shore of Michigan. The reason there are so many drownings is due to idiots, often intoxicated, some who can't even swim......jumping into the water! Blows my mind. The other big factor is we have wicked rip currents around here. They even put up signs saying stay out of the water, but I guess reading isn't really a requirement in many schools. Especially the ones in Chicago. Something like 90% of city HS students can't read at the 3rd grade level. Not being able to swim, being dumb as a stump, and rip currents means jumping into Michigan may well be the last thing you ever do.
one word my friend "IGNOREANCE "/ SO as far as the common saying " Ignorance is Bliss" ?? have to really think about that!!!!!

I just bought an inflatable life jacket that inflates when you hit the water and if unconscious it turns your face up.
I forget I even have it on it’s so comfortable.
And I’m in Texas and worn it on a triple digit day.
My rules are I’m the captain of tin boat and everyone wears. No alcohol allowed and no goofing around in the boat. It’s a wide stable boat but nobody gets up and moves around without letting the other person no first.

I know I'm probably an outlier, but from the moment I launch the boat, I never take my PFD off, never, not even for a second, no matter how uncomfortable it gets.
I may have to re-think my PFD rules onboard… Florida requires all 6 yr olds and under to have a PFD on at all times, which I enforce! But for the older grandkids and adults, I only require them to wear their PFD while underway, but not while anchored to fish or swim. We swim a lot on the saltwater flats, rivers and lakes; but even then, the grandkids 6 and under keep their PFD’s on… But I really do respect those on this thread with stricter safety measures!

Attachments

• IMG_6436.jpeg
    IMG_6436.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6555.jpeg
    IMG_6555.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 0
I may have to re-think my PFD rules onboard… Florida requires all 6 yr olds and under to have a PFD on at all times, which I enforce! But for the older grandkids and adults, I only require them to wear their PFD while underway, but not while anchored to fish or swim. We swim a lot on the saltwater flats, rivers and lakes; but even then, the grandkids 6 and under keep their PFD’s on… But I really do respect those on this thread with stricter safety measures!
I have 12 grandkids total and most of which have caught their first fish with me. They’re the main reason I got my project boat and rebuilt it.
When my 14 year old grandson went with me he didn’t want to wear a life jacket but after a little talk we got it straight. Not long after that his dad bought a 14’ aluminum boat and I saw a video of him showing how well it ran on the water and my grandson was with him on the bow with no life jacket. That’s when I decided it’s not just a good idea but it sets an example to wear 100%. Before I only had mine on when underway.
I’ve also had to promise my wife I would since I go solo a lot and I get into some boat rocking situations sometimes.

I was a fishing guide for six years on Sam Rayburn lake in east Texas. Our boats were small, 16’ mostly, 17’ the last two years. 118,000 acre lake and could get mighty rough. At the time state law required 12 & under kids to wear life vest always when under way. I strictly enforced it.

Pulled two bodies from that lake and one from another during those years. None of the three were wearing life jackets.

I was a fishing guide for six years on Sam Rayburn lake in east Texas. Our boats were small, 16’ mostly, 17’ the last two years. 118,000 acre lake and could get mighty rough. At the time state law required 12 & under kids to wear life vest always when under way. I strictly enforced it.

Pulled two bodies from that lake and one from another during those years. None of the three were wearing life jackets.
I used to tournament fish some 15-20 years ago. When I first started I had a new 18’ Triton bass rig. Had a tournament on Sam Rayburn. We blasted off and hit the main lake to go where we had practice fished. Those swells made us look like a bobber going up and down. Took one over the bow. We found the nearest coves and fished the heck out of them. That day was one of the reasons I upgraded to a 21’ boat. It handled those rough days on big lakes a lot better.
Those east Texas guys spanked us hard that day.

Going with the same jacket Douglasdzaster Bought. The jacket has some great reviews. I well be fishing 99% of the time solo. At 65 with two hip replacements and a bad knee if I fall into the water am screwed without a floatation device.
The auto ones are nice and have a manual option.

I've read the same about Lake Superior. I have a little bit of a fascination with great lakes shipwrecks like the Edmund Fitzgerald and the Daniel J Morrell, great stories.

I grew up in Minnesota and visited Duluth many times. It's a very cool city.
you must have moved due to the taxes
I too love the great lakes--superior and michigan. never been to any else, yet anyway. Cold water will get ya with swim failure if you don't have a PFD, so you'll drown, even a healthy, non hurt, excellent swimmer.

As I'm out alone, often in the dark, I also have a handheld marine radio, whistle, and a compass. I really should get a small strobe/glowstick.

I just bought an inflatable life jacket that inflates when you hit the water and if unconscious it turns your face up.
I forget I even have it on it’s so comfortable.
And I’m in Texas and worn it on a triple digit day.
My rules are I’m the captain of tin boat and everyone wears. No alcohol allowed and no goofing around in the boat. It’s a wide stable boat but nobody gets up and moves around without letting the other person no fir
Could you tell me which life jacket you purchased. I have been looking at purchasing an inflatable one. Would really like one that turns you face up. Didn't know they made that kind. After having a heart attack 2 weeks ago my view on life jackets has changed. Thanks.

Just one thing to consider. These auto inflatable jackets can sometimes fail I would think and how would you know this except for when you hit the water and sink like a rock? Traditional flotation devices are flawless and many are quite thin. So I don't really see the need or extra expense. Isn't this sort of like reinventing the mousetrap?