Wood transom really necessary on jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinhead1986

Reaction score
Since buying my new G3 1036 in july i’ve found my self binge watching jon boat videos on utube especially 10 ft videos . I’ve noticed in a lot of them that they have wood transoms and my new boat doesn’t . one big reason i bought it no more rotten transoms . My boat is only rated for 5 hp do I really need a wood transom or is my factory aluminum one fine

The only real good reason to have wood on the transom is to give the clamps on the outboard something to bite on to. Just having aluminum can be a little slippery for the clamps. Without wood, I would definetly have a safety chain/ cable

The only real good reason to have wood on the transom is to give the clamps on the outboard something to bite on to. Just having aluminum can be a little slippery for the clamps. Without wood, I would definetly have a safety chain/ cable
ok thanks I don’t really want to drill a bunch of holes so i can mount a transom in a new boat . For sure i will add a chain attachment to the motor and already have a transom saver

Wood all the way................it's a natural fit on a small fishing boat. I use white oak with a spar varnish finish. Last a looooong time!

If woods really needed then why doesn’t the manufacturer include it when they build the boats . I guess that’s real what i’m asking

What is the definition of " really needed" ? There are things that can add a sense of security but not absolutely necessary!! Kinda like your seat belts...

What is the definition of " really needed" ? There are things that can add a sense of security but not absolutely necessary!! Kinda like your seat belts...
Saving mfg cost and labor that my belief............basically lets make as cheap as possible and still float!

Put me in the camp of its not needed. I'd rather have a boat that didn't have any wood in it anywhere. With a wood transom it's not a matter of if but when it rots. Take a look at the pages here of all the rotted wood transom posts. Never had a problem with an all aluminum transom on any of my boats.

Put me in the camp of its not needed. I'd rather have a boat that didn't have any wood in it anywhere. With a wood transom it's not a matter of if but when it rots. Take a look at the pages here of all the rotted wood transom posts. Never had a problem with an all aluminum transom on any of my boats.
I’m with you on that but then i see everyone adding a wood transom to their jon boats that didn’t come that way from the factory and start wondering should i be doing the same with adding a wood transom . with max hp being only 5 hp do i really need to worry about such a small outboard ripping the aluminum transom apart . That’s what i’m worried about long term ownership

I have a rather wide piece of red oak. Guess what my transom is going to made out of?
Ok but for what reasons , why do you feel it’s needed when the factory didn’t add any wood transoms and i understand the whole trying to save $$$ . these jon boats still have to meet certain Government safety standards right . I’m not picking on anyone just trying to figure out for my own safety is it really needed . are people just being over cautious by adding a wood transom

Each to there own but a transom backed with white oak top coated with a cpl coats of spar varnish is gonna take a looooong time to go bad. Mine has been on my 1968 year model 16ft Alumacraft since 1978 and it's still solid.

Each to there own but a transom backed with white oak top coated with a cpl coats of spar varnish is gonna take a looooong time to go bad. Mine has been on my 1968 year model 16ft Alumacraft since 1978 and it's still solid.

No, you do not need any wood on your transom. New aluminum boat transoms are made wood-free to eliminate the rotting problems to which wood will eventually succumb. As all tin boat guys know, weight matters and even though a wood transom may not weight a whole lot in the grand scheme, it would be extra weight in your boat that would be completely unnecessary. To each their own, though.

Another thing I would be concerned about is moisture getting between the wood and the transom skin.

I think the pros and cons to adding a wood motor mount are pretty well laid out in this thread. Personally, I would prefer to not add the wood and I wouldn't for a bolt on motor. For a clamp on motor I would do it just for the extra clamping bite (and still use a safety chain).

I’m with you on that but then i see everyone adding a wood transom to their jon boats that didn’t come that way from the factory and start wondering should i be doing the same with adding a wood transom . with max hp being only 5 hp do i really need to worry about such a small outboard ripping the aluminum transom apart . That’s what i’m worried about long term ownership
It is not there to make the transom stronger on an aluminum boat. It's main purpose is to give the clamp on your motor something to bite into. With solid aluminum the clamps can slip off if not tightened really tire and checked often. With a wood piece added, the clamps have something to dig into!! Let's not compare a solid wood transom to a piece of wood attached as a clamping surface to an alum transom