Yamaha F25 vs T25

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdutreix33

Reaction score
I currently own a Xpress 1546VJ with a 1992 Johnson 25hp 2stroke. The Johnson 25 is missing some features I would love to have, power tilt/trim, longer tiller, shifter in a more accessible location. This has caused me to look around for solutions including a tilt and trim unit which would only set the tiller and shifter back further out of reach.

I was able to recently find a good deal on a 2009 Yamaha 25hp 4stroke model T25LA, which comes with electric start, tilt/trim, and the upgraded long tiller. My only question is since this is a High Thrust model with a higher gear ratio, what will be the drawback of this over a standard 25hp outboard. I’ve read very conflicting reviews about how this is better used on pontoons or work boats or as a kicker motor but also people saying it should be fine with light weight aluminum boats.

I would assume I could switch props or even lower units to the regular but are there drawbacks to this?

Any insight is welcome!