Transmission trouble? Any Chrystler experts here?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BYOB Fishing

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 73,000 miles on it. For the last couple of weeks, the check engine light has been coming on. I pull the gas cap off, reseat it, and within three starts the light goes off for 4-5 days, then it comes back again. I repeat, and always get the light within 4-5 days.

Then, a week or two later, I was driving down the interstate running about 1800 or 1900 RPM @ 65mph and the Jeep seemed to downshift suddenly for no reason. The RPM jumped up to 2300 or so. Within a few seconds, it corrected itself and continued on as normal. Then it happened again. And again. Now, on a 20 mile trip, it's happening at least once. One thing I noticed is that the digital display that shows the gear selection (PRND) usually has a square outlining the gear the car is currently in. When driving forward, there is a square around the "D", but when this happens, there is a square around every letter. Not sure if that means something or not...and if it may be related to the check engine light.

I'm sure I'm going to have to take it in, but I wanted to see if anyone might be able to tell me about the problem before the guy that's getting ready to fleece me for $500 bucks to replace a sensor does.

BTW, these transmissions are sealed from what I hear, so I can't even check the fluid myself, I have to take it to the shop for that too. grrrrrr

Thanks in advance for any replies. I appreciate it.

Matt

Not sure about that transmission, but you could check your brakes. Make sure there is not one or more dragging. If brakes drag the transmission will downshift into a lower gear to overcome the added torque needed to turn the wheels. Jack the wheels off the ground and release the brakes. The wheels should turn freely.

KMixson said:
Not sure about that transmission, but you could check your brakes. Make sure there is not one or more dragging. If brakes drag the transmission will downshift into a lower gear to overcome the added torque needed to turn the wheels. Jack the wheels off the ground and release the brakes. The wheels should turn freely.

That dont happen that often but can and is worth the try. But to me it sounds like it is in the electrical. Take it to a shop. If it is what i think it is you should be able to fix it for a couple of 100, maybe even 100 depends on the labor.

I have had some trouble with my Dodge minvan in the past. Not much help on your problem.
If it turns into something really expensive - check around for prices. The shop that diagnosed my problem wanted $3,400 to rebuild the transmission. I called around and Amaco Transmission got me out the door for $2,100 (included towing my car there) - with a guaranty.

If it starts working again, I'd say your problem isn't likely mechanical, but a sensor somewhere.

Shouldnt' be too much,

Will

Thanks for the replys so far. I checked the wheels and they seem to spin OK. Sounded like it was kind of a long shot anyway. When we went for a ride yesterday, the transmission didn't do that at all, and the check engine light didn't come on, either. Unfortunatly, when I turned on the heat/blower, we got a facefull of what smelled like hot band-aids. Not sure what that was, it went away after a few min, and it didn't happen on our return trip. Maybe I should just trade it now!! hahahaha

Matt

Latest posts