Have you ever been stopped on the water?

Talk about anything that floats your boat (no pun intended). This is general talk about anything not related to boating/fishing.
wasilvers

Post by wasilvers »

I imagine plenty of us have been stopped by he boys in blue while on the road, but how many of us have ever been stopped on the water? Did they look over your rig and find anything? Any reason for stopping you or was it just a normal check?

I'll go first. Only been boating 2 years and never been stopped. I did have several wardens at the dock one day while I had an undersized fish in the livewell [-X [-X [-X because my party for the day wanted to show the pike to his wife before he released it. I know, likely story [-X , but he swore he would take the ticket if we were stopped. They never checked us, but he sure was sweating bullets.
Will - Originally from Texas, now fishing for Bass in Wisconsin
1978 Sea Nymph Fishing Machine rebuilt in 2009

bobberboy
Donor

Post by bobberboy »

About35 years my brother and a friend and I stayed up all night getting my brother's new boat ready to go for the opener. We got checked for licenses that day - first and only time. We probably looked bedraggled from being up all night the sheriff probably thought we were either drunks or knuckle-draggers - or both.

Quackrstackr

Post by Quackrstackr »

I've been stopped a few times. They patrol pretty heavy around here in the summer. I have never been cited for anything.
Paddle faster... I hear banjos

vanbc

Post by vanbc »

I have been stop while fishing from shore. The guy fishing next to me got his DL taken away they said his license was suspended. Up here they sometimes patrol with 2 officers 1 police and 1 fish and wildlife. We get alot of illegal fishing during salmon season

brmurray

Post by brmurray »

yes, yes, and yes. :LOL2: Me and couple friends use to go on all night Cappie hunts and have found a few in the process. We got busted 3 nights in a row by the same DNR agent. On the third night I pointed out that he broke the law by boating without his lights on. Other wise we would have been dumping fish (we had yet to cull the smaller ones out). He acknowledged my point and told me to call the law. I said yes sir and took my ticket with a smile! LOL Fun stories to tell!

Been checked on numerous ocassions but the only time I have received a ticket.

Captain Ahab

Post by Captain Ahab »

I have mostly in Saltwater - The state F&G will do a constant check on some days. Also was checked by the Feds last year which is also common for boats that go offshore after Fed. regulated species like Tuna

No violations so no worries.
Trying to Fish as often as Jim works :LOL2:

angry Bob

Post by angry Bob »

I've been checked for a license a couple of times, but there was one time a pesky water skier pressed the angry button so after I clothes lined the skier with a cast they ran and got a cop. I told him my story, and he told them to stay away from us. Nobody was injured, but I was much happier when I saw the driver was wearing a White Sox cap. :mrgreen:
Angry Bob
Smallmouth Fanatic

LonLB

Post by LonLB »

Up here, most of the stops are from the county cops....They usually just ride on jet ski's. They are usually really cool though. They don't check your boat, or even license. The extent they check you, is to ask what color your license is....Which is usually color coded for the year.

I have been stopped once for a reason. I used to work for a sport boat company.....We built a few boats that were pretty slick....A 18ft boat with a 325hp Volvo, thru hull exhuast, dual prop drive, and solid black with polished stainless hardware.

The other one was a 27ft boat with a 525hp Merc. Thru hull exhuast etc.

Well we wanted to test the boats so we were out there for a while......Later that night we take out the other boat a 25ft with a 525...

Well this time we weren't on the clock anymore....All of us were getting sloshed except the driver....They took his information, and ran a check. Told us to slow down, and that people were complaining we were close to shore. Which was BS. And that we were shaking windows in houses.....A victory in my book....LOL.

No tickets that time either....Just the first time I've ever had the cops called while boating.

wasilvers

Post by wasilvers »

I forgot about the time I was followed by border patrol, about 50 miles from mexico. I showed up at a local river and 5 minutes later as soon as I had ctossed the river,the border patrol pulled up and sat there I started to cross back,in case they wanted to talk to me, but they left. 10 minutes later, I saw them downriver on an embankment watching me. I walked abit downstream, and then the border patrol airplane, came down the river, circled a few times and continued his cruise. I decided it was time to go!
Will - Originally from Texas, now fishing for Bass in Wisconsin
1978 Sea Nymph Fishing Machine rebuilt in 2009

one100grand

Post by one100grand »

I've only ever had my license checked while fishing from shore in an easily accessible place around here. My real story to that actually goes back about 25 years to my father's only ticket fishing in Montana. We were up in a spot called Island Lake which has hiking trails that go several miles back and actually lead into Wyoming. Everybody knew it went into Wyoming and seeing as how it was about a 15 mile hike back to the border, with no other access, nobody bought a license. We'd hiked way back into that area as a family and my dad was fishing in one of the little run-off lakes and up come fish & game on horses out of nowhere! My dad got hit with a ticket for $250, which he argued angrily (if you knew my father, this is the amusing part - I'd say this was one of 3 times I've ever seen him angry in my life) about it, then took the ticket and told the warden he would never pay it. They told him that's fine, but if he was ever pulled over in Wyoming, he'd have a warrant for not paying it. :shock: After that trip, I don't think he's ever been back to Wyoming...
Somewhere there are hungry fish. Right now...

zerofivenismo

Post by zerofivenismo »

I've only been stopped once to check for life jackets. Warden wasn't concerned about the license. We were legal, no citations, and everyone went on their merry way.

gunny146

Post by gunny146 »

I've been stopped once. I have stopped quite a few, mostly pleasure boaters. I tend to leave the fisherman alone unless they are doing something really crazy.
3/4 of the Earth's surface is water and 1/4 is land. Clearly god wants me to fish, not mow the lawn.

BaitCaster

Post by BaitCaster »

Never been stopped on the water. However, I have encountered MNR road blocks in cottage country - where they are checking coolers for fish limits.
“There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” ~Stephen Wright

The Livin Large Project - https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=14160

baseball_guy_99

Post by baseball_guy_99 »

Never been stopped on the water, but a game warden came up to me and my dad after we pulled the boat out of the water at the boat ramp. We had put my dad's Ranger on a 10hp limit lake (but never even put the big motor down in the water). The warden said he had been watching us from a hill with binoculars to see if we were going to start the big motor. He checked our license, livewell, and checked the boat over to make sure everything was legal. He even said that he watched us have alot of trouble getting the boat back on the trailer because it was so windy and I was using the trolling motor haha. He said in a situation like that he didn't care if we fired the big motor up to get it on the trailer as long as we took it easy. He told us thanks for not using the big motor and for releasing the fish that my dad had caught (7+lbs) and then went on his merry way.

floundahman

Post by floundahman »

I've been stopped twice. I was stopped once for a random safety gear inspection. The other time was at night and the DNR officer couldn't see the stern light on my jon boat from his center console boat. He had signaled us to stop, but let us go when he saw the light on approach. No citations and minimal inconvenience.