Have you ever been stopped on the water?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been safety checked by the USCG on lake Michigan twice in 2 days. First time they looked through everything from checking the charge on the fire extinguisher to verifying the dates on the required flares, registration and correct number and type of flotation devices. The three times on the Fox Chain the guy only checked my horn, flotation devices and looked in my live. The one time I had a fish in there, he then asked to see my fishing license. I love the look on their face when I say I didn't buy one. Then the look of disappointment when I show them my disabled veteran card. BTW, if any of you ever want to fish in Illinois and are a veteran and are rated with a minimum of 1 10% disability through the VA, you can fish here for free. Resident, non resident, it doesn't matter. Never been checked in Wiscoland and you know, the one year I don't buy one, will be the year I get stopped. $50.00 a year is better than the alternative.

Here's one for the bowfishermen. The summer after I graduated high school (a long, long time ago) I was walking the bank of the Red River looking for gar about 25 miles below the Lake Texoma dam. Kept seeing a helicopter flying up and down the river, but being 18 years old, I was in my own little world and didn't pay it much attention. A couple of miles downstream, I decided to follow a creek into the woods. After following the creek for a while, a bridge crossed the creek and I decided I would walk the dirt/gravel road back to my car. I was walking along and saw the helicopter again, hovering out in front of me. Next thing I know, a state trooper car comes barreling around the corner, gravel flying everywhere, does the sideways skid-thing, just like in the movies, and stops maybe twenty feet from me. The driver is glaring at me through his open window. The passenger side trooper jumps out of his side and levels his shotgun at me over the roof of the car. The barrel of that gun was like looking down into a 55 gallon oil drum. My pucker factor went right off the scale. I later learned that this is what they call a felony stop. The driver starts asking all kinds of questions, who am I ? What am I doing out here? I couldn't squeak out an answer, so I just lifted up my bowfishing rig and pointed at it. Then he asked me if I knew where there were any caves around there. Looking back, I don't think that there are any caves within two hundred miles of that area, but all I managed to say, in a very meek voice, was, "No." I think they finally realized that I was no threat in any sense of the word and relaxed a little. The railroad tunnel-sized shotgun got pointed somewhere else and they explained to me that they were looking for some escaped prisoners from the Oklahoma side of the river. Somebody had told them that one of the escapees liked to hide in some caves in that area. Anyway, they gave me a ride back to my car, probably just to get me out of the way of their manhunt. As I was tossing my bow into the back of my 1970 Ford Maverick, I heard one of them say, "Good thing we didn't catch him down on the river, he'd a shot us in the *** with that bow." In all honesty, after that felony stop, I'm just proud that I didn't wet my pants.

Been checked many times. Had one officer check us twice in the same day and when he pulled up the third time, we was like don't you remember us from earlier and he said he did so he did not check us again. Had one TWRA go over the entire list of what is required in a boat and all he found was that my fire extinguisher did not have a gauge and I might consider getting one. They are all doing their job and seem to be nice people. A matter of fact a few years ago I was checked by this one officer enough times I got to know their first.

How come they never show up when there's a guy there that is violating? Been checked on a Lake County Forest Preserve Lake once when ice fishing but in the spring when they stock Trout in there, we've seen people using 3 and 4 rods (2 pole limit), called the DNR hotline and nobody shows up.

I can only think of a couple of times I've been checked in the 25 years I've had a boat. Both times TWRA wanted to see my livewell, license, life jacket, and registration, all of which I had. They were a pleasure to deal with and later one of them became one of my best fishing buddies.

Used to drive a soft drink beverage truck and used to get stopped by the Waukegan Police Weight Enforcement Officer so much that one time I saw him in a bar when I was making a delivery, bought him a drink and we became such good friends he would call the warehouse on days they were setting up weight stops to tell us where they were.

Have only been checked one time while on the water. Back when I owned the PT 175 Tracker, my wife and I were on KY Lake (on Memorial Day weekend, and will never make that mistake again). We were back in a cove and anchored, trying to stay away from the jetski crowd, and the Water Patrol came alongside to check us out. He asked me if I had anything in the livewell, and I told him "I wish", lol. They checked all of our paperwork, safety equipment, etc. He said they were spread pretty thin as far as the number of boats they had on the water checking stuff, but there were 3 of them in that one boat. :roll: . Right after they left we started to drift and I discovered our danged anchor had come loose from the rope. While bank fishing at city park a few years ago, the Fish & Wildlife guy stopped and came up to us and started talking. I asked if he needed to see our licenses, and he said only if we wanted to, lol.

Whenever I've been checked and had no fish, they never want to see my license. I asked about it and was told, unless I am actually fishing or have fish in the livewell, they have no "proof" that I am fishing. 15 fishing rods, a landing net and live bait, doesn't constitute being fishing...

:twisted: Probably a half dozen times on fresh water. Got a ticket for ID letters/numbers being too small on the bow. Got a ticket way back when I didn't have a boat endorsement on my drivers license. Got stopped a few times on salt water also.

I have been stopped in my 23' SeaRay speed boat, they checked licence and paperwork. Never got a ticket even when I go 60 mph in a 35mph zone. The police are mostly looking for drunk drivers.

Been checked numerous times when I bank fished, but since owning a boat I've been checked once and it was for safety equipment.

I've only been boating for 3 years. So far I've not been checked but then I only use the boat for duck hunting. In my 30 years of hunting I've never been checked by the DNR. I have had conversations with them but never checked.

Popeye said:
Why would you go 60 MPH in a 35 MPH zone? They prolly have it set at 35 for a reason.
No one ever follows the speed limit, plus this was during the week when the lave was calm and no one was out. there some boats going 100mph + in race boats like 38' donzi's. The police dont mind

Latest posts