Walleye

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defiant

Reaction score
Doe's anyone fish for them .What do you use in the Spawn /Spring I have been useing grub's and crankbaits just looking for some opinion's

I use 95 percent live bait. But we do use some rapala husky jerk and some crank baits. The live bait, we use big suckers and creek shiners. If you are fishing from a boat vertical jigging you dont want big bait. 3 inches is fine but if your shore fishing or just still fishing from a boat, the bigger the better, I have use chubs 8" long and have caught some nice walleye. evey once in a while when the bite is lite we will use a stinger hook. I hope I helped you out a little.

Thank's I am going back to Tygart lake saturday to try my luck again they are starting to spawn there and was gonna try something different like maybe some berkley power minnow's or crawler's .Might have to try some live minnow's as well.

A jig/minnow combo is probably my best early season bait.

Jig/grub will work well when the fish are hot.

Long thin cranks (original Rapala's) would be my 3rd choice.

Thank's Mattman I went and got a few Husky Jerk's and some different color jig's today what size /color original rapala's do you suggest

Baby Bass pattern. 5 1/2" long 4-6ft suspending is my all time go to lure, I catch most of my fish that are caught on lures with this baby!

Attachments

• Baby Bass.jpg
    Baby Bass.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 604
Defiant said:
Thank's Mattman I went and got a few Husky Jerk's and some different color jig's today what size /color original rapala's do you suggest

#13 is my most used size. Some #11 and some #18.

Black/silver, Perch, Firetiger, Brown/gold are my staple colors.

Thanks Ya'll will get to the store today and pick some up and give them a try .

Defiant said:
Thanks Ya'll will get to the store today and pick some up and give them a try .

Go to Dick's sporting goods..I think they are 20 percent off this week....and use the coupon in the hot deals section for $10 off $25.

You could end up getting 5 of them for around 15-16 bucks :beer:

I wish we had a Dicks sporting goods in our area. The closest on to me is in Erie Pa and thats about 60 miles away. Damnit!

I've always targeted walleyes and I agree with all the methods (baits/lures) mentioned above 100%. The only other thing that works well that hasn't been mentioned are Mepps spinners, #3 or #4, Aglia or that one with the rubber minnow as a trailer. Had good luck with them in the past. The crawler or minnow on a #4 aberdeen, with a small split shot up about 18-24" is a killer when casted or drifted (a slip sinker like a Lindy rig for deep water). Good luck tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip Jim but where I live in WV there isn't a dick's within 100 mile's there is nothing else either so I either have to order them or see what wally world has There is some little store's on the way to the lake so maybe they will have something