Not working on boat this weekend.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwave

Reaction score
I will be departing St. Pete around 3pm today for an over night swordfish trip. We will be fishing in the area of 26.30 north x 84.45 west.....take a look on your gps where that is. I cant wait since its the first trip out to the steps this year. Although its not really tinboat related, it is one of my favorite types of fishing. We will run approximately 120nm in just over two hours...fishing under a giant full moon tonight. When the sun comes up on sunday we will then deploy the wahoo and marlin gear and hope for a shot at bill or two, or some giant wahoo's, mahi mahi.....and then stop in 600-800 feet on the way in for some snowy groupers and such. Weather looks good, I hope the bite is on. [-o<

Bigwave out

Yes it was a long run.....well worth it. I think we ended up with 15 blackfin tunas,4 yellow edge groupers, 12 champagne porgys upt to 10lbs, 35lb kitty mitchel grouper, 8 mahi mahi, 50lb wahoo, a few scamp, had a shot at a couple of bill fish, lost one very large yellowfin tuna.....I will put the pics up later. I would bet that we had at least 500lbs of fish in the box when we got home. For those that know this area lets just say the bite was on fire....we lost tons of fish with short strikes on the bally-hoo......all in all we ran 350 miles in one day on a very nice 37 specter with twin 315 yanmars......finaly got my blue water fix. 8)

This is a pic of what we caught......The big tuna weighed 30lbs, Wahoo 45lbs, bull mahi around 20lbs, had a great time out there even though we missed a couple of huge fish.

Attachments

• Loop trip.jpg
    Loop trip.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 306
always wanted to fish saltwater, never have done some surf fishing but i dont count that nice haul for sure!!!

Awesome fish, Bigwave.
What is it about the spot that draws fish to it? When I look up those coordinates, it looks like you are just out in the middle of some deep blue water near the continental shelf :) I bet it's an amazing sight out that far, wow. Any pictures of that super-moon while you were fishing out there?

wesome fish, Bigwave.
What is it about the spot that draws fish to it? When I look up those coordinates, it looks like you are just out in the middle of some deep blue water near the continental shelf I bet it's an amazing sight out that far, wow. Any pictures of that super-moon while you were fishing out there?

I will look for a good bathy chart so you can see why they are known as the steps....millions of years ago the shoreline was out there and the topography gradually steps down until you hit the continental shelf. There is a particular area where they come to a corner and you can literally start fishing in 900' and drop to 10,000' in just 4 miles.....that is deep and that is where the swordfish and blue marlin like to play.

bigwave said:
wesome fish, Bigwave.
What is it about the spot that draws fish to it? When I look up those coordinates, it looks like you are just out in the middle of some deep blue water near the continental shelf I bet it's an amazing sight out that far, wow. Any pictures of that super-moon while you were fishing out there?

I will look for a good bathy chart so you can see why they are known as the steps....millions of years ago the shoreline was out there and the topography gradually steps down until you hit the continental shelf. There is a particular area where they come to a corner and you can literally start fishing in 900' and drop to 10,000' in just 4 miles.....that is deep and that is where the swordfish and blue marlin like to play.

Big - Great catch - Now get to work on that boat
I worked on it a little bit last night....ran short on tubing, almost time for the painting.

Lets see if this works. here ya go house

https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=27d6f1422a054416882e918f5f6c09e8

bigwave said:
This is a pic of what we caught......The big tuna weighed 30lbs, Wahoo 45lbs, bull mahi around 20lbs, had a great time out there even though we missed a couple of huge fish.

This is very impressive. Nice pile of fish. Congrats!