fishing with crayfish?

Talk about anything that floats your boat (no pun intended). This is general talk about anything not related to boating/fishing.
Post Reply
Anonymous

fishing with crayfish?

Post by Anonymous » 13 May 2007, 17:54

After looking at the river a little while ago and seeing a few cray fish, I thought of making up a trap. I know there is a post here on TinBoats about making a trap. My question is how do you hook them, do they pinch you and if so do you wear some type of glove?

I am very interested in trying this and would like every ones opinion on this. Tips are also welcome :D


fishnfever

rdneckhntr
Posts: 139
Joined: 12 May 2007, 12:01
Location: West Virginia
Contact:

Post by rdneckhntr » 13 May 2007, 21:10

They do pinch sometimes but not hard. Just grab them from the tail with their claws facing out and they shouldnt get you. I usually pull off their claws. When I hook them i just put it through the tail.

User avatar
Jim
Site Admin
Posts: 17549
Joined: 29 Nov 2006, 21:00
Location: Shrewsbury, MA
Contact:

Post by Jim » 13 May 2007, 21:20

look at this link, and look at the picture. It seems this way the thing will live forever...until eaten lol!


https://www.paulkeeslerbooks.com/HowToFishStreams.htm

BRYCE

Post by BRYCE » 14 May 2007, 01:08

I rip off the claws first. I think it helps. A fish looking to eat a big craw will sometimes think twice about one that has big ol claws held up. One without claws they will gobble right up. I hook them through the tale right where it meets the abdomen. If you don't want to take the claws off grab them right behind the head and the can't reach back and get you.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » 14 May 2007, 06:22

Thanks guy's for all the info and Jim thanks for the link. I am going to try and make a trap some time this week. I will keep every one posted.




fishnfever

User avatar
Jim
Site Admin
Posts: 17549
Joined: 29 Nov 2006, 21:00
Location: Shrewsbury, MA
Contact:

Post by Jim » 14 May 2007, 07:19

fishnfever wrote:Thanks guy's for all the info and Jim thanks for the link. I am going to try and make a trap some time this week. I will keep every one posted.




fishnfever
Are you making a Bryce trap? I cant wait to see the results.

User avatar
Jim
Site Admin
Posts: 17549
Joined: 29 Nov 2006, 21:00
Location: Shrewsbury, MA
Contact:

Post by Jim » 14 May 2007, 07:21

BRYCE wrote:I rip off the claws first. I think it helps. A fish looking to eat a big craw will sometimes think twice about one that has big ol claws held up. One without claws they will gobble right up. I hook them through the tale right where it meets the abdomen. If you don't want to take the claws off grab them right behind the head and the can't reach back and get you.
I dont think claws make a difference LOL! :wink:

Image

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » 14 May 2007, 16:23

jimmyt wrote:
fishnfever wrote:Thanks guy's for all the info and Jim thanks for the link. I am going to try and make a trap some time this week. I will keep every one posted.




fishnfever
Are you making a Bryce trap? I cant wait to see the results.

Yes I just have to get some time and I will make it and post pictures

Post Reply