Lowe 1436 Lake Jon

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
Turtle1231

Lowe 1436 Lake Jon

Post by Turtle1231 »

I know this is an old thread but I just obtained a 1986 Lowe 14 Colt that looks the same for the transom.Would it be an issue to put three pieces of wood in for the transmon to get around the side wells. Cut one for each side and install them and one for the center. Would this be an issue for support?

maintenanceguy

Lowe 1436 Lake Jon

Post by maintenanceguy »

Turtle1231 wrote:
24 Dec 2019, 02:39
I know this is an old thread but I just obtained a 1986 Lowe 14 Colt that looks the same for the transom.Would it be an issue to put three pieces of wood in for the transmon to get around the side wells. Cut one for each side and install them and one for the center. Would this be an issue for support?
I would try to go with one piece. Having two joints in the transom board eliminates the stiffness that a wooden board adds. A transom board can be notched to fit around all of the stuff that's in the way.

Turtle1231

Lowe 1436 Lake Jon

Post by Turtle1231 »

I appreciate your quick feedback. I don't see how you could notch it and get the wood behind the side seat pods. I have to have enough wood to attach the side seat pods and the back handles of the boat as well. Based on some other post, it appears the right way to do it is below but I don't want to do all that rivet work if there is a way to get around it. How could I notch it and get the board in that bottom brace and behind the side seat pods?

First, remove the knee brace(s). Simply remove the bolts going through the transom, and drill out the rivets holding it to the hull.

Next, remove the side seat pods. Again, remove the rivets here - don't cut any sheet. It should have rivets through the side of the boat, and through the bottom of the hull.

Remove the L brackets in the corners (shown in your second picture). Again, just rivets and bolts.

Now, remove the strip on the bottom of the wood. It should be a Z shaped piece of formed sheet. Just as above, it's just riveted to the hull.

At this point, the wood should come right out - it is cut undersized enough to drop down an inch or so to clear the top cap. If it doesn't slide right out, figure out what bolt is still through the transom that you missed.

Install your new wood (or better yet, your new custom fabricated aluminum ) core, and replace everything in the reverse order.

Turtle1231

Lowe 1436 Lake Jon

Post by Turtle1231 »

Also, the original idea came from the video below. Start at the 5 minute mark to see how he did the transom.

Turtle1231

Lowe 1436 Lake Jon

Post by Turtle1231 »

Any suggestions? Do I need to tear out the seat pods and do all the rivit work?

maintenanceguy

Lowe 1436 Lake Jon

Post by maintenanceguy »

My original thought was to just make two big notches in the board so it wrapped around the benches instead of went behind them. The knee brace would need to be wiggled and the bottom of the board might need to be cut with a beveled edge to get it in.

But, I think I have a better idea.

Rip the transom board into three strips. If the board was cut vertically, you lose strength but cutting the board horizontally won't effect stiffness - at least not very much. So, rip the transom into three horizontal boards. Insert the top and bottom boards into the j-channels and then slip in the middle piece. A couple of vertical nailers with stainless screws ties everything together.

LDUBS

Lowe 1436 Lake Jon

Post by LDUBS »

Might be easier to pull the top cap and corners off so you can slide a correct dimensioned piece in. Cost of welding the the top cap and corners back on would be the issue. i have no idea what something like that might run.
Have Rod - Will Fish

Turtle1231

Lowe 1436 Lake Jon

Post by Turtle1231 »

Thanks for the input guys. MaintenaceGuy, I like your input and appreciate the detailed drawing. Very nice and great idea!