14' Jon Boat Decking Advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jr235

Reaction score
Just bought a 1970's Jon Boat, stripped and painted with Sea Hawk Aluminium Grey. I want to frame the front with a casting deck. Questions: What size angle aluminium? What size aluminium closed rivets? Plywood thickness/type? And any other tips from your experience. I am new to this site, Thanks a lot, jr235 [email protected]

welcome, I used 2.5 inch wide by 1/8 inch thick angle aluminum with 5 ply 1/2 inch marine grade plywood on my deck. The closer you place the supports together the thinner the plywood you can use. I screwed my deck down and screwed the aluminum framing together with flat head screws counter sunk and locking nuts..

Thanks for your response very much appreciated...anybody out there that can recommend rivet size/length???? Will 3/16 X 1/8 do the job???

1" x 1" 1/8" thickness angle is sufficient, just need to brace it vertically every 18" or so.

Rivets 3/16 size is great, solid rivets are better though if you have an air compressor - much stronger vs. sheering loads.

jr235 said:
Thanks for your response very much appreciated...anybody out there that can recommend rivet size/length???? Will 3/16 X 1/8 do the job???
Rivet length will depend on the thickness of the aluminum being riveted. No need to use closed end rivets when building the frame work.

I've been watching a lot of Tiny boat nation on YouTube.. his material of choice is 1/16 thick 1.5" aluminum angle.. granted a lot of bracing is required but it's easy to work with.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk