14 ft conversion possibilities

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelflight

Reaction score
ok so last night i got gifted a 14ft modified v hull. its sound in it's frame. I don't have pics right now. but the project i want to do right off the bat is add a stern cubby cabin to it. Reasons being my beloved spouse loves fishing with me. ( sometimes i wish i never taught her how. she always does better.) lol. but she is one of those that can't handle the sun. soo some shade is needed. this is my first water craft build mod. my second goal for it is to turn the rest of it into a flat casting deck. (which there are plenty of examples of here.) would like some input and thoughts on how i should go about this. ergo the cubby cabin and weight distribution. with it in the stern can i expect the hull to plane well? (first time post happy to be here.)

Only thing better than a 14' boat is a 16' boat. Lol. My point is that weight is detrimental on a varying degree depending on hull size. For example I recommend not putting a deck on a 12' boat, some decking on a 14 but be careful of how much weight you add, and a 16 being a little more forgiving. I'd look into a Bimini top for sun protection over a permanent structure. Could even add a roll up blind (like bamboo slat type) for side protection.
Take your boat out with 2 people and see how it performs. Then add a third person and you'll get an idea of how the extra weight affects it. Have the third person sit in the front, middle and the back and you'll see how weight distribution affects your hull.
Good luck and post pics!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

So got some pics of her. A 14 ft sears special from way before my birthdate and a Johnson 3hp motor. Also older then me Lol. Both are solid. All I need is a spare tank and a trailer for them.

Pics here

Attachments

• 1586651629526935272292.jpg
    1586651629526935272292.jpg
    741.2 KB · Views: 615
  • Message_1586650180161.jpg
    Message_1586650180161.jpg
    666.9 KB · Views: 615
decided to go with a front 1/2 casting deck. or so hehe. using a rubber deck lin er on top of a 1/8 plywood. the benches will stay. the deck will just sit on top. I'll be stuffing foam board insulation underneath. I am actually planning on gluing the blocks on the bottom of the board. keeping it suspended above the bottom deck by about a 1/2" . I think this will keep the weight down. (fingers crossed.) while I'm getting all that ready on paper I think I'm going to get ready to test the engine and make sure that it will push me along in the water.

after all that I'm gonna paint it next so it looks slick on the water because why the heck not.

so goals.
.Casting deck
.engine tuned
.paint job.

thanks for your input guys.

For a front casting deck your going to need something thicker than 1/8" plywood.
Also for shade purposes "as mentioned" I would just install a bimimi top.

A bimini top is in the works. Thanks for the input on my material error. Ill get thicker plywood.

Latest posts