Trying to rehab a super rough old boat - Advice Welcome

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinkHeel

Reaction score
I recently came into possession of a very rough old aluminum (row) boat. It is 12 ft long with a 50 in beam. No info on manufacture, age, etc. Has original oar locks and its shallow draft. Numerous small holes in the sides and a few holes (up to about the size of a nickel) in the bottom as well.

I’m planning to sand/strip it down, patch/rivet/5200 the holes, reinforce the transom, seal up the pin holes with (likely) muggy weld, paint, throw on a small engine and use it just to knock around the local lake with my kids.

I‘m reasonably handy (I’ve restored an old house), but this will be a new experience. I’ve searched the forums here and bookmarked a number of threads, but am hoping y’all can provide additional advice, guidance, or encouragement. (Or tell me I’m insane and just to turn it into a giant planter).

Seriously, I honestly don't know if this can even be done, so any advice is welcome. If yall have thoughts on age/make I'd love to hear that as well.

Attachments

• IMG_5461.PNG
    IMG_5461.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 409
  • IMG_5462.PNG
    IMG_5462.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 409
  • IMG_5464.jpg
    IMG_5464.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_5465.jpg
    IMG_5465.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_5466.jpg
    IMG_5466.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_5467.jpg
    IMG_5467.jpg
    842 KB · Views: 409
Make sure you have a title/able to register it per your state regulations before you sink any money in it. I’d hate for you to restore it, only to find out that you can’t get it registered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with hunter guy 86.

Check the local registration regulations first, then get at.

This project will be just as fun as restoring and old house.

- A Perfect Tin

Latest posts