1952 Alumacraft project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is Mrs. Crappie Stalker posting for my hubby. Our project is a 1952 Alumacraft Open C on what we think is the original trailer that we bought from a friend back in July. It's been a little slow going over the past few months, working on it when we have the time. Don't know if you can tell from the pic or not, but the two seats that were in it were a secretarial chair seat and a dining room swivel chair seat. The motor is a 78 model 15 hp Evinrude. Believe it or not, the boat is rated for a 50. If there's any $$ left when we finish, we're gonna try to find a 35 - 40 horse. We wanted to share some pics of our progress so far. The tongue was bent on the trailer, so we cut it off and Paul lengthened it as well as replacing the hitch. The old one wasn't just an antique, it was downright scary. We put new bearings in and made umpteen trips and phone calls trying to get the right size seals to fit. We stripped out the inside, removed all the brackets and wooden blocks that were bolted on for what reasons we can't figure out. We ground out rough spots and loose paint, then flipped her over, primed and now she got her 3rd coat of OD Green on Saturday. We haven't completely nailed down the plans for the interior yet. There's definitely not gonna be much deck. There will be a small one just to have a place to mount the trolling motor, then it will step down for the fishing seats and rod holders. We mocked up the deck height with 2 x 4's and took it out to the local lake to see how tippy it would be and it did really well. When all is said and done, she'll be rigged out for crappie fishing and should be a great boat to fish out of.New old boat 1.JPGOld Hitch.jpgNew Tongue.jpgsanding welds.jpgPainting.jpgPainting 2.jpg

Nice rig. Yea, it's hard to believe how they rated some of these hulls. Mine is rated for a 50hp too, but I can't see putting more than a 35hp.
Anywho, enjoy your new boat. I really like the green. What color for the trailer?

edit: The more I see it, the more I like it. Where are the dents in that hull, mann? !! Did it sit on the trailer for 50+ years. Its like brand new!

I really like that boat. High sides and vertical nose look sweet... Old school look!

Paint job looks fantastic. Keep the posts coming.

Well . . . it's been a while. My work schedule has been cruddy and haven't had much time to work on the boat or anything else for that matter. The old trailer was turning out to be more trouble than it was worth. Nothing was standard on it and loading the boat was a bear. The solution? Sold the trailer and bought a 73 model better suited to this boat. Put new tires, lights, tongue jack, winch and bunk boards on and it looks good and no problems loading the boat now. The fun stuff is hopefully about to begin. Gonna paint the inside, do some decking and finish her out.

Attachments

• New trailer 2.jpg
    New trailer 2.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 2,438
  • New trailer 1.jpg
    New trailer 1.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 2,438