1975 Smoker Craft 12' semi v-hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodnocker

Reaction score
I have been searching for a boat that I can take someone fishing with me for some time now. My budget was low to say the least. I've been scouring CraigsList for some time now, gone to look at a few and finally found something that I could afford and be able to take someone with me as well. This is my first tin boat and I have many questions. I was searching the net looking for how to fix up a tin boat and happened across a video that showed some of the work from the users of this site and thus, how I found my way here. I am amazed at the work and creativity and plan to swipe a few ideas for my own use :roll:

The boat I finally found is a 1975 Smoker Craft that is "registered" as a 12'. It included a trailer (that will hold a boat 2-4' longer), swivel seats, paddles that need replacing, and a trolling motor that works but leaks and shorts out the motor (according to the seller). It's not much to look at right now, but I couldn't pass it up at only $250.00

I've taken measurements...
The boat is 16" deep and 47" wide at the transom. It is 54" wide at it's widest point and 22" deep at that same point and when I measured it from transom to point, I measured it at 11'8"

I plan to start my resurrection slowly as I don't want it to be down to long and keep me from going fishing. I am going to replace the wood on the benches that the seats attach to and I need to replace the wood and carpet on the bunk boards before I take it out. My first modification I "want" to do, is to put a small deck from the point to the first seat. I fish ICW and want an area I can stand to use my cast net and possibly sight cast from. I don't know if this boat is going to be wide enough for me to do that though. I also kayak fish and am used to sitting closer to the water while fishing, so I'm not sure if I want to "deck" it out and put seats up higher. I'm also not sure how stable this boat is going to be with the higher center of gravity of that setup.

One other thing... I have been all over the internet and can not find stats for this boat. I don't know what the weight capacity is for it and I don't know what size outboard is recommended for this. I have been to the Smoker Craft website and can not find an exact match for my boat. Also, as you can see next to the back strap holding the boat to the trailer, it has "FURY" on the side. I've not been able to find anything about a Smoker Craft Fury.

Please pardon the quality of the pictures. It was dark and raining tonight when I took them, but what's a little rain when it comes to boats and fishing?

I've been looking at all the modifications people have posted and want to thank everyone for sharing their hard work.

Any suggestions on how to best use the area I have would be most appreciated.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 891
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 891
  • trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 891
  • transom.jpg
    transom.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 891
Welcome aboard.
Very nice find for $250. Did you water test it yet? Oh, one tip, don't over tighten the transom strap,
it will cause the sides to bow in.

Nice Find!.. Keep your deck low or you will be very tippy...

If you can wait, I'd relist it on Craigslist for more money and roll that into a 14 foot flatbottom..Sometimes you can get lucky and find one for a good deal..