Has anyone installed a radio?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sureshot

Reaction score
Ive searched a little and I come up with people with the same question - unanswered.

Has anyone installed a full marine audio system in their jon boat?

If you have what are some tips, or cna you run thru your install?

Thanks

I really thought this one over and decided against putting one in, just because I'd be likely to have to run a separate battery for it and I can't afford the weight.

While I haven't done boat audio, I've done a ton of car audio. Do you have any specific questions?

Most kits you buy (with a head unit and two speakers) will come with a list of instructions and most of the stuff needed to install. I really don't think you'd have much trouble with it, as its really only a few wires.

I've been working out a way to put a 1000 watt sub in my jon boat.. I want to cause wake with the engine off. :lol: :wink:

I was planning on having two batteries, so that isnt necesaily a bad thing, but would the wiring be difficult?

The wiring should be a piece of cake. There's really nothing there other than the ground, hot, signal and rca cables (if installing an amp) and some speaker wire.

I am putting one in my boat. I have all the stuff except the antenna already. You can use a car radio if you purchase a water resistant cover for it. Also make sure you go with marine speakers that are designed to be exposed to water. Other then that a pair of wires for each speaker, run the red and blue from the radio to positive on the battery and black to black and you should be done. You can pick up a antenna from Cabeal's and probably BPS as well.

Awesome. Thanks for the help. Im going to start my search for one now.

if it ever warms back up here in georgia ill be finishing my project. and i bought the audio bundle from overtons for $99.00.it has the water proof cover, head unit, and 4 speakers. I will be installing them when it warms back up. The install will be simple just wire like a automotive system

Yeah, I know what you mean with the weather. I bummed a propane heater of a buddy of mine and its heating my garage pretty well - thats the only thing keeping me working on her - its about 15 degrees out side, with about 3 inches of snow on the ground. I may end up waiting to paint her and finsih the inside first - that way I know the paint will adhere correctly.

On the 14' Monarch I had before my current boat, I removed the foam in the rear seat (not necessarily recommending this). I mounted the radio and two 6x9's in the face of the seat. It worked pretty good only sticking out about 3/4".

I've got a radio in my jon boat.... and it runs off my livewell battery, and both run all day long with no problems.

I've got the radio in a marine housing, then have power wires and I'm using one indoor/outdoor speaker... its freaking loud. Not much bass, but I don't want bass when I'm fishing.

If you do a search for my first boat, "Alumcraft Makover" or something like that on the page of everybody's rides, you'll see it in one of the pages on my thread

Latest posts