Carpeting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whichever is easier for you Personally I like to carpet the Decks before installing that way the water will run off the edges and into the bottom and not get on the board edge's and also make's it alot easier to remove the Decking if you need access to the bottom.

Another question. How much space, (width), on average will the carpet take up. I want my decks to be as snug as possible and I dont want to cut them to big then add the carpet and have them not fit.

What do you think an 1/8th of an inch?

I always allowed about 1/8 or maybe 3/16 on either side so 1/4 total

This really depends on the carpet you use. When you measure the wood for your deck I would cut it a little large. This worked well for me, I stretched the carpet on it tacked it down with a few staples and put into place. Then, when necessary pulled it back of, shave off a little(wood) and repeated. This allowed me to get a really snug fit. Always easier to take a little off. not so easy to add it back on once the wood is cut.

PS: Use a good carpet glue, don"t rely on just staples. Staple one side, smear you glue on the wood,flip it over and pull tight and then add more staples.

Nevillizer said:
This really depends on the carpet you use. When you measure the wood for your deck I would cut it a little large. This worked well for me, I stretched the carpet on it tacked it down with a few staples and put into place. Then, when necessary pulled it back of, shave off a little(wood) and repeated. This allowed me to get a really snug fit. Always easier to take a little off. not so easy to add it back on once the wood is cut.

PS: Use a good carpet glue, don"t rely on just staples. Staple one side, smear you glue on the wood,flip it over and pull tight and then add more staples.

Ok....That sounds good. Where did you buy your marine carpet? Lowes or home Depot should have it right?

Home Depot,(not a big fan of Lowes) they have pre-cut lengths(4'x12' i think) for about $12 and $5 or the glue. I used two for my original 1432 and had plenty left over. TO smear the glue use a paint stirring stick that you can throw away when done.

I always get mine at Lowe's cant stand Home Dept LOL but either the Green or Grey .

The funny thing about that is you were typing your response when I was typing mine .When I clicked submit I saw yours and started laughing . :LOL2: :wink:

Went to home depot.... :LOL2:

Got some hunter green, not lime green, so it wouldnt get stained as easily as the grey. Is that gonn be real hot? Or does carpet even retain heat?

Hey Lowe's has the hunter Green . :LOL2: and the darker the color the hotter the boat will be when your fishing .

How would u install carpet on aluminum floor and other stuff before u install it or after. Its installed

Hi everyone, I don't think it really matters where you get the carpet from, just as long as its marine grade. You want something that will hold up to rot and that you dont really mind if it gets wet. I saw someone on another thread that used a generic outdoor carpet. He said it worked fine untill he got his lure hooks stuck in the threads and had to rip them out! not fun!
I would probably glue it. A spray on adhesive that is water resistant. Someone mentioned something by 3M that worked well on another thread, but they said that it made a mess. Don't know wat it was called.
I agree about the colour. Definitely not black. I would go with something like light grey
And yes, i just joined up and have been lurking for quite some time now. Man! i love this site!

As for glue, Waterwings on here did a tremendous job on his carpet using Henry 663 indoor/outdoor glue available at Lowe's, and maybe Home Depot. He also pioneered the use of a rolling pin to aid in the installation. :)

What's most important with the carpet is that it has a rubber back (to keep out the water), and no loops (to keep out the hooks)

Here is his carpet install
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/thumbnails.php?album=113

Also, don't forget to use the search function up in the top right corner, as carpet has been a popular discussion on here. I think if you query "carpet installation" you'll get some good info.

Good luck.

Latest posts