Changing motors?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

authentic

Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions lately. I got my 1432 last summer, and now I'm ready for a jump up, for bigger waters and more friends.

I'm looking at my dream boat, but it comes w/a motor that is torn apart. If that motor turns out to be beyond what i think I can do, in fixing it, how difficult would it be to put different motor on and connect to the steering and everything? There are often outboard for sale on out local craigslist that run fine, that could get me by just fine.

It's an Alumacraft 1860 w/steering console. Comes w/a 90 hp Johnson. Yeah, the 90 would be nice, but I have a friend running a very similar boat w/a 50hp that gets up and goes just fine. You can find 50s around here all the time on craigslist. They're usually older, but run fine.

Changing motors can be done fairly easily. Most of the time, people selling motors sell all the controls and everything, so it's a pretty easy change.

But, I would show the motor to a mechanic and see what it would cost to repair it. A used 50 hp motor would run at least $500 or more depending on how old is is, so repair may be an easier route if you can find a good mechanic. Plus, that 90 would push that boat WAY better than a 50.

Just my .02!