Questions about my boat project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thad

Reaction score
1994 14' Aluminum "V" Bottom

100_2336.jpg

I got this boat about a year ago as a gift but didn't get to use it. I've decided to do a little remodeling to it to make it more user-friendly for my fishing. I'll be using this boat on smaller lakes and the New River. What I had in mind was rebuilding all three benches so I could use it as is for the New River since it is a dangerous body of water. Then I would build a removable deck that I could put in it when I fished lakes. I planned on building the deck at bench level. I haven't got to test the boats stability yet. Do you think it will be safe for a deck?

Before Christmas I stripped it down and then it got cold on me. It's spring break for me this week. No beach for me, all I have planned is working on this boat. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what I'm going to do with it.

100_2341.jpg

You can see there use to be three rows of seating. I plan to make the removable deck extend from the front to the middle section.

I also want to make the back bench a storage box so it needs to open.

I have a 42# Thrust Motor Guide Pro Series 4300 trolling motor.

The bigger motor I have is an old 6hp Evinrude.
100_2342.jpg

This is what I have to work with so while I try to come up with some kind of floor plan please feel free to give my some ideas. Or if you see any potential problems with this boat let me know.

100_2332.jpg

100_2333.jpg

100_2334.jpg

Where would you guys put the battery for the trolling motor? Seems like the easiest place would be in the back, beside the gas tank.

Got another question. In what order do you put a deck together so that there are no screw in the carpet? For example, let's say I'm building the bench top for my back bench. I cut out the bench top and then I cut out the square in the middle that will be the lid to the opening. Then I need to make a brace for the bottom side of the bench top so the lid will sit on it. In what order do I put together the bench top, lid, brace, carpet, piano hinge? And then I need to attach the whole thing the the aluminum frame that is already in the boat. How do I do all of this without putting holes in the carpet? I just can't put theses things in order. Everything ends up with having to mess the carpet up.