Need your professional opinions.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottGA

Reaction score
Hi all, I am a frequent guest on the board but a new member. I know all you guys are super smart and can give me the best information possible reguarding aluminum boats. So here is my scenerio.

I will be purchasing a Jon boat in the coming months to fish the numberous electric only lakes we have here in GA. I am looking at a 15 or 16' I will be decking it, live well, and all the other mods seen here on tinboats forum. Mostly myself 210lbs and a buddy of mine 270 lbs will be fishing in it. Here is my question.

Will a flat bottom or a mod V be better from a stability standpoint. Any photos of a couple big fellas standing up on one would be great. Any other comments welcomed.

I would go with the flat bottom boat... we've got some pretty big guys in our club. Both of the guys in the boat aren't that big - well, then again - they aren't that far off.

Anyways, 2 are in a 1436, but both of them stand and they want a wider boat.
2 are in a 1648, and they do just fine. The bow deck is as high as it can go, but the back is an open floor. The same guy fished with me Sunday at Acworth and He was in the front, and I was on the rear deck of my 1546 - we both stood just fine - and moved around a pretty good bit.

I would get the widest you can afford. If you both are over 250, I would say to get atleat a 42" floor - but I think you'd be more happy with all the mods you want to do with atleast a 46" like mine... 48 or 52" would be golden though..

whereabouts are you at in GA?

Russ, I am thinking a 1448 or 1648.. I would love a 1852 but that may be overkill for our small lakes. I am north of Gainesville very close to Cedar Creek actually. The other think I didn't mention, is that I want something I don't have to worry too much about the kiddos losing balance and going in the water when they are with me.

I don't know how clear I was but i an looking at flat bottom jons vs MOD-V.

By the way, Russ you have done an AMAZING job so far with your mod. I really look forward to seeing the complete package once you get your front deck rebuilt.

Thanks for the input

I have a 16/48 mod v myself. It is extremly stable, would be even more stable if i rearranged the 250 lbs of batterys.. Also it is for sale if you want to just get one and go fishing... :)

Oh, For the record, I am 250-265 depending on the day, My buddy is probbaly 200, plus the 250 lbs of batterys, the live well and gear, and we fish no problem, I believe a flat bottom will fish as well if not better for electric only.. The mod v only helps in the ruff water, I do not see any advantage to it in electric only waters myself..

Think of it like the song (flat) fat bottem girls !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here wider is better :D :D

Bugpac said:
I have a 16/48 mod v myself. It is extremly stable, would be even more stable if i rearranged the 250 lbs of batterys.. Also it is for sale if you want to just get one and go fishing... :)

I read thru your build, looks like a pretty awesome rig. If you are serious about selling, PM me some info.

Latest posts