Piano Hinges

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutman3000

Reaction score
What is the best way to install these? In order for my hatch to be flush the hinge has to be mounted below the deck. Do I just attach another 2 x 2 or something to mount the bottom of the hinge?

Thanks,

Jason

Attachments

• 103_1062.JPG
    103_1062.JPG
    756.2 KB · Views: 979
  • 103_1061.JPG
    103_1061.JPG
    877.2 KB · Views: 979
It's hard to tell from your pics your dilemma but with mine I just screwed into the side edges of the hatch and the frame. I have piano hinges that were 3/4 on each side of the actual hinge so they fit perfectly.

HInge Closed.JPG
Hinge 1.JPG

Took me a few tries.. I found it easiest to screw into the hatch, then line it up with the decking and secure it. Don't get discouraged when it takes a couple tries.. it literally took me an hour to put two in. Lack of sleep didn't help :roll:

After taking a look at your pics, how do you plan to support the hatch? If you're going to make the hatch doors flush with the decks, you need some sort of lip hanging out from under the edges of the hole in the deck for the hatch to sit on.

dyeguy1212 said:
Took me a few tries.. I found it easiest to screw into the hatch, then line it up with the decking and secure it. Don't get discouraged when it takes a couple tries.. it literally took me an hour to put two in. Lack of sleep didn't help :roll:

After taking a look at your pics, how do you plan to support the hatch? If you're going to make the hatch doors flush with the decks, you need some sort of lip hanging out from under the edges of the hole in the deck for the hatch to sit on.

I dont think my deck is thick enough to screw it into it. The hinge holes wont line up with the deck when the holes are flush. I guess I'll add a 1 x 2 there and around the hatch for support. I would of just used another easier to install hinge on the top, but I want it to look clean, and I paid 16 bucks for the hinge. :shock:

dyeguy1212 said:
regardless of the hinge you need something to hold the hatch lid up. Otherwise your foot would be going through it every time.

Right. I planned to use angle iron or a 1 x 2 to support the hatch. I even thought of installing the piano hinge on the top to avoid adding something else below, its not as "pretty, but its funtional.

wrench001 said:
I don't know if it is really an issue or not but I would be leery of screwing into the end grain of plywood. In other projects I've used a full wrap piano hinge. Something like: https://www.hardwaresource.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=1330.

Your 100% right. I screwed my piano hinges in the end grain and it isn't holding. I'm going to remove the screws and glue them in and see if that helps.
I wasn't aware of the wrapping hinges until the other day. I was taking the rotted decks apart on a factory made aluminum bass boat and I looked at the deck hinges on it and they were the wrap around kind.

In the least glue the screws in because wood expands and contracts and the screws will work themselves out within months.

Troutman3000 said:
dyeguy1212 said:
regardless of the hinge you need something to hold the hatch lid up. Otherwise your foot would be going through it every time.

Right. I planned to use angle iron or a 1 x 2 to support the hatch. I even thought of installing the piano hinge on the top to avoid adding something else below, its not as "pretty, but its funtional.

Doesn't sound functional to me... you'd I don't see any piano hinge holding a lid up on its own when you're standing on it :lol:

Troutman3000 said:
dyeguy1212 said:

I dont think my deck is thick enough to screw it into it. The hinge holes wont line up with the deck when the holes are flush. I guess I'll add a 1 x 2 there and around the hatch for support. I would of just used another easier to install hinge on the top, but I want it to look clean, and I paid 16 bucks for the hinge. :shock:

I said I would add a support as I did last night. Functional was meant towards the hinge resting on top. Whats your deal man?

dyeguy1212 said:
Troutman3000 said:
dyeguy1212 said:

Doesn't sound functional to me... you'd I don't see any piano hinge holding a lid up on its own when you're standing on it :lol:

What's so hard to understand?

Wait what/who are you quoting? If me, what did I say that was wrong? I didn't know if you added support or not man, all I was saying is that you can't hold a lid up with a hinge.

dyeguy1212 said:
Wait what/who are you quoting? If me, what did I say that was wrong? I didn't know if you added support or not man, all I was saying is that you can't hold a lid up with a hinge.

You didnt read anything, and went on to say it wasnt functional if I put my foot through the hatch. I stated several times that I would add support. Am I missing something? I was only staing that the top of the piano hinge may rest on top if I dont have enough room to install inside the hatch.

dyeguy1212 said:

5th and 6th post.

You never said you did it. It was all "I plan to do this" or I guess I'll do that.

Chill out man, its not like I said you don't know what you're doing, or that your mom is a cow.

dyeguy1212 said:
You never said you did it. It was all "I plan to do this" or I guess I'll do that.

Chill out man, its not like I said you don't know what you're doing, or that your mom is a cow.

It wans't said, but implied. Why do you feel the need to add useless comments and not offer a solution?

Im not going to go home and cry about it, however I dont understand what your point was?