Aluminum Repair

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejones1961

Reaction score
I am needing to repair some small holes in my new/old boat and I was looking at HTS2000 or Durafix. Is one product better than the other? Are they available from someone othet than the manufacturer? I dont need more than 2 or 3 sticks and was looking at a place to get it.
Thanks for your help.

I think we're in the same boat. Ive been looking for a place that will sell just acouple sticks as apposed to buying 80 bucks worth

There is a prduct out there (though I don't remember the name) that is like plummers putty. It comes in a stick and is a 2 part putty/epoxy that you knead together and apply over the holes. I have used it on my boat and I have not had any problems. I'll see if I can find the name of it.

Here's some on Ebay....
The first link says all brands are the same stuff and its fairly cheap with excellent feedback.
Never heard of the stuff but I will probably buy some and give it a shot.
You can buy one stick in one of the auctions but with shipping its kind of a waste.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ALUMINUM-REPAIRS-DURAFIX-ALUMALOY-ALADDIN-HTS-2000-1-4_W0QQitemZ270552230883QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efe2b6be3

https://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=hts-2000&_sacat=See-All-Categories

you can buy a pack of alumaweld(5 rods i think) at harbor freight for 15 bucks. I've used tons of the stuff, works good.

Thanks for the input. I looked up the Alumiweld on the harbor freight website. They have one not too far from here I am going to try to get some there this weekend.

You can go to harbor fright and get the aluminum welding rods for under 20 bucks. I think that there were 12 rods in a pack. They work pretty good.

if u cant find them there and have a tractory supply co. (TSC) nearby, they have a similar product made by hobart... i bought and used some on my boat this weekend. previous owner sealed up a 4-5 inch long gash with bondo and silicone lol. find a scrap piece of aluminum and figure out how it works first... take your time and watch the surrounding metal for warpage!

arkansasnative said:
if u cant find them there and have a tractory supply co. (TSC) nearby, they have a similar product made by hobart... i bought and used some on my boat this weekend. previous owner sealed up a 4-5 inch long gash with bondo and silicone lol. find a scrap piece of aluminum and figure out how it works first... take your time and watch the surrounding metal for warpage!

I saw them at Rural king last night "Hobart aluminum Brazing Rod" its about $5.00 cheaper than the product @ Harbor Freight and 60 miles closer. I held off on buying them until I read up on them to see if they were similar.

Thanks

Thanks guys. I'm glad I came across this thread. I've been wanting to do some minor repairs on my jon and maybe a couple simple mods with alum.