NEW Terrova 24V/80#/60"!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Man

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on the "New" model Terrova (model #1358380) ...not the Quest model. Purchased from my local boat shop in my city which is an authorized MK dealer for sale and service. They have Xmas special which included no sales tax...straight MK pricing. good through 12/25/23. Ordered and paid yesterday, and it was delivered to their shop today! Talk about FAST shipping!

Two things I noticed that were not expected after speaking with MK techs...

1. Terrova does still have the heading sensor puck. I thought the tech I spoke with a few weeks ago said it was built in. Oh well, perhaps it is needed for the new functions.
2. Terrova mounting holes are slightly different than Powerdrive. Two holes matched the MK Powerdrive. Two new holes will need to be drilled.

I removed the Powerdrive that came with my boat and laid the new motor in its place.....looks sweet!

Once motor is mounted (I'll be using (4) 1/4x20 SS bolts with nylocks and ss washers...fenders where they fit), I'll begin my (2) 12V/100amp Lithium batts install with 60amp circuit breaker, correct gauge tinned marine wiring, and 10amp NOCO Lithium batt charger (2 bank).

Excited about the new toy!

Lubricate your stainless hardware, and no power tools. Grease or anti-sieze is fine.

Your heading sensor will need power and ground as well so it would be wise to start planning for that.

As you're installing it, deploy it and check to see that the shaft is going to be close to perpendicular with the water. There may be a water line on the boat that will help with this. It can make a big difference.

You will like it, enjoy!

Mount your heading sensor as far away from the motor as you can with it still having line of sight to the head while deployed. If you can get more than 4 feet you will be amazed at the accuracy. I put mine just in front of the driver side windshield.

If you are coming from a PD, prepare to be amazed by spot lock! You will wonder how you ever fished without if before. I'll never be able to have a boat without it.

Mount your heading sensor as far away from the motor as you can with it still having line of sight to the head while deployed. If you can get more than 4 feet you will be amazed at the accuracy. I put mine just in front of the driver side windshield.

If you are coming from a PD, prepare to be amazed by spot lock! You will wonder how you ever fished without if before. I'll never be able to have a boat without it.
I thought the sensor had to be in close proximity to motor and on centerline of hull.....for accuracy and Bluetooth connectivity? According to MK....it's only used for the "jogging" function....of course they've been wrong before.

Lubricate your stainless hardware, and no power tools. Grease or anti-sieze is fine.

Your heading sensor will need power and ground as well so it would be wise to start planning for that.

As you're installing it, deploy it and check to see that the shaft is going to be close to perpendicular with the water. There may be a water line on the boat that will help with this. It can make a big difference.

You will like it, enjoy!
Yes, I always use Lanocote on all SS nuts/bolts and tighten with hand tools...never power tools.

It is replacing a Power Drive model so it is as perpendicular as it's going to get...using a couple of same mounting holes.

I wonder how critical perpendicular is, seeing as the boat is constantly bobbing up/down at bow?

Yes, I always use Lanocote on all SS nuts/bolts and tighten with hand tools...never power tools.

It is replacing a Power Drive model so it is as perpendicular as it's going to get...using a couple of same mounting holes.

I wonder how critical perpendicular is, seeing as the boat is constantly bobbing up/down at bow?

A lot of older boats had a pretty slanted bow cap that required shimming the trolling motor so it would sit flat. Modern stuff is pretty good about it though and yours looks fine. Obviously it is never going to be perfect but I've seen some rigs on the water where the trolling motor is tilted 10-15* at rest, they're losing a lot of thrust that way.

Sweet!

My Powerdrive is mounted on a piece of 3/4 ply which is then bolted down to the deck covering the bow. I had to do that to get sufficient mounting structure for the TM base. It doesn't actually look too bad. I never checked it for perpendicularity. I know it's not perfect, but the boat moves well and is very responsive, so I'm satisfied with the setup.

I thought the sensor had to be in close proximity to motor and on centerline of hull.....for accuracy and Bluetooth connectivity? According to MK....it's only used for the "jogging" function....of course they've been wrong before.

I don't believe it's just for jogging, although it would be certainly used for that purpose as well. It's a heading sensor to make sure the motor knows where the front of the boat is. If you straight line troll, like with downriggers, the heading sensor makes sure it goes in the direction you point it for auto-pilot. The farther away from the head, the more accurate and quick the algorithm will be. It doesn't need it to be on the centerline of the boat, but you need to align it perfectly with the centerline- it needs to point exactly forward. That's been my understanding anyway, and I got my install guidance by a master Minn Kota tech at a marina I trust. I can tell you is my boat tracks perfectly, with laser precision, and my puck is mounted about 8 feet away from the motor and on the starboard side.

I had some troubles when I mounted my Terrova , The deck that I wanted to mount to cracked from the stress and flex , I guess it was to thin and had to have it replaced with a thicker piece .
When I got the boat back from the fab shop I used a piece of HDPE to spread out the load and shift the mount enough to place the motor where I wanted it .
Once I had the shape I wanted I used a router to put radiuses on the edges and then sanded it with a DA and 300 grit .
To make it look nice again I used a propane torch .
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M9GL3XH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• IMG_20190726_162746436.jpg
    IMG_20190726_162746436.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20190806_085035036.jpg
    IMG_20190806_085035036.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20190824_152110661_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190824_152110661_HDR.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 0
Mine is about a foot away....works fantastic and very accurate...the heading sensor uses bluetooth. It does not need line of sight to work although the closer the better as bluetooth is weaker than wifi. Spot-lock is awesome...but that has nothing to do with heading sensor....though you do have to calibrate with two full circles. All the heading sensor does it tell the unit which direction the boat is pointed...which is why it's important to mount the sensor with the arrow pointing as perfectly parallel to the boat as possible. With I-pilot you can set a heading and it will not deviate even with wind or current. It's awesome.