Overton's Tuff Coat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rellis1962

Reaction score
I have been looking at the Tuff Coat from Overton's. Looks to be pretty good. Appears you would need to use a special primer but is made specifically for boat decks and docks.
Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

My dad put it in his Lund a few years back. Basically it is just a paint with pieces of shredded tire mixed in, to give it a nonskid texture.

I considered using that stuff for my deck and actually bought a can at Cabela's. I took it back cuz the primer is a 2 part epoxy that the guy at Cabela's said he couldnt get. When I called the company that makes it,I was quoted an outrageous price for each part of the primer, plus more prep than I wanted to deal with. I also saw some boats at our local sports show here last month that had this on the decks, and it looked like it would be pretty hard on the knees.

fishfast41 said:
...and it looked like it would be pretty hard on the knees.
I personally don't like it for this reason.

...cuz the primer is a 2 part epoxy that the guy at Cabela's said he couldnt get.

Huh, I wonder if they've recently changed the primer requirement. This was probably 4 or so years ago my dad used it, and it didn't call for anything special. I just went out in the shop, dug out the can and read the label. On it, it mentioned just use a quality primer intended for whatever material you are putting it on (wood, steel concrete etc), and recommended using a self etching primer for aluminum.

The can I had said that as well. I called Overton's to get a recommendation on what to use, and that's when I was told about the 2 part primer and got a price quote. The guy I talked to was pretty helpful and he also assured me he would make sure I got what I needed. I also asked several people at hardware and paint stores what they thought I should use for a primer. I got different answers each time. No one seemed to know. Thats another reason I shied away from using it. I sure didnt want the stuff peeling off 'cuz of improper prep.