First time out with the new boat (video plus pics)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cali27

Reaction score
It goes good, better than i thought ( click to watch )

julianboat020.jpg

TM worked very well, I will have to get used to the foot controls
julianboat017.jpg

Waiting for the 50 thousand dollar boat to get out of the way ( I needed the room )
julianboat021.jpg

The rigs all ready to go
julianboat022.jpg

The boat ran great, very stable. The seats up that high felt very secure and safe. Boat is perfect but the trailer does need to be fixed. I was warned by you guys, the bunks are too high. Need to lower them. The question for you guys is do I need a transom saver, the motor seemed to bounce a lot when trailering. It made me very nervous. If that is normal than I wont let it bother me. What do you think.

I would go with the transom saver. just my .02

Transom saver = $30

Out board or ruined transom = a lot more :shock:

By the way the boat looks great, did you catch any fish??

perchin said:

Transom saver = $30

I did not bring out the rods on this trip, just wanted to see how everything worked and iron out the kinks.

Is there a specific size of transom saver or all they all the same?

Dang...that thing looks like it will scoot along pretty good.

Nice!

You can also just use a ratchet strap on the motor to keep it from bouncing around. I steer mine all the way to one side, hten run the strap across the lower unit and tighten it just enough to take up the slack in the rubber mounts. This has worked for me for years. But you definitely need something, a good chug hole will liberate the motor and over time it will cause stress fractures in the transom if you don't brace it.

When you rebuild the bunks you need to have the transom sitting on the end of the bunks. If you leave it like it is now it will cause a hook in your hull and that will cause performance problems.

Looks like a great build, I need to get caught up!

Rat said:
You can also just use a ratchet strap on the motor to keep it from bouncing around. I steer mine all the way to one side, hten run the strap across the lower unit and tighten it just enough to take up the slack in the rubber mounts. This has worked for me for years. But you definitely need something, a good chug hole will liberate the motor and over time it will cause stress fractures in the transom if you don't brace it.

When you rebuild the bunks you need to have the transom sitting on the end of the bunks. If you leave it like it is now it will cause a hook in your hull and that will cause performance problems.

Looks like a great build, I need to get caught up!

Thanks Rat, I never thought of just a ratchet strap.
Yeah, my plan for the trailer is to just run a 2x6 on each side sitting directly on the trailer frame.

She scoots along very nicely!!! Best of luck with her, hope you have lots and lots of fun.
I just use a bungee cord on my outboard after turning it to one side.

cali27 said:
Rat said:

I have done the same and it worked great. I strapped mine just below where the lower unit bolts on.

cali27 said:
perchin said:

Transom saver = $30

I did not bring out the rods on this trip, just wanted to see how everything worked and iron out the kinks.

Is there a specific size of transom saver or all they all the same?

Most of them are adjustable to fit most any set-up. I've even just cut a cedar 2x4 to length with V's notched out of each end before, then ratchet strapped it down. There are lots of options..... That things scoots along nicely, I don't know how I missed the video the first time

Looks awesome, and looks like it scoots!

To the transom saver, I bought a seasense brand one from a nearby big box store that likely has a location near you for like $22 after tax. Definitely worth that 20-30 bucks as opposed to having a really bad and embarrassing day that in addition to being really bad will end up costing a lot more than 20-30. If you had an old gamefisher or something maybe you would be hoping it would fall off but that looks like a real nice little 9.9 you have there...

It came with two ways to mount to the trailer, a bracket that you can bolt onto the trailer, or a U shaped end which fits around a roller if you have one in the center rear part of your trailer as I do. It also came with the needed epdm rubber straps. It had multiple adjustment holes, but you have to measure/fit it, and then cut to fit. One part was smaller size square tube than the other, and slid into the upper part of it. The smaller section had the adjustment holes and this is the section you would have to trim, because the larger diameter upper section actually has a slot that the bolt which connects the two can slide in, and there are little shock absorber things that go between if that makes sense. You can see the shock absorbers and the motor end in this picture.
100_2209.jpg