Storage Option

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gajet31

Reaction score
Hi all. Just got a new rig and I am doing some minor work to get it where I like it. It is a Grizzly 1646 sc. Currently my storage options are limited. I was curious about making the rear bench seat a dry box for storage. What are some thoughts on this? I am sure there is floatation foam in the seat, which could pose a problem. Other than that I don't know what I could do... The gap between the rear bench and the transom is full with the battery and gas tank. And the small storage box in the decked bow is holding my second battery.... I don't want to add anything to my pre-existing layout, because I love how open the boat it. Ideas are welcomed.

David

Attachments

• 170575_p_t_640x480_image02.jpg
    170575_p_t_640x480_image02.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,181
I'd be cutting into that rear seat, and possibly the bow deck, on either side of the center storage (hatch accessible from top), were it my rig.

Thanks for all the advice. It seems my best option is to convert the bench seat to dry storage. I know that is filled with foam, and if I take it out I need to replace it. There is my problem... the boat is already decked so I can't put foam under the deck without doing a complete overhaul. Any ideas??? Maybe removing the foam will not harm the buoyancy of my boat. I have come to learn that the front deck has the same foam under it, which leads to the same problem. I am now thinking about fabricating a weatherproof aluminum/stainless steel box and permanently mounting it directly in front of the side consul. This would not make up too much room, yet would give me some much need storage space. The attached picture is my planned area. What is the best way to mount the box???

David

Attachments

• 170575_p_t_640x480_image022222.jpg
    170575_p_t_640x480_image022222.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,109
gajet31 said:
Thanks for all the advice. It seems my best option is to convert the bench seat to dry storage. I know that is filled with foam, and if I take it out I need to replace it. There is my problem... the boat is already decked so I can't put foam under the deck without doing a complete overhaul. Any ideas??? Maybe removing the foam will not harm the buoyancy of my boat. I have come to learn that the front deck has the same foam under it, which leads to the same problem. I am now thinking about fabricating a weatherproof aluminum/stainless steel box and permanently mounting it directly in front of the side consul. This would not make up too much room, yet would give me some much need storage space. The attached picture is my planned area. What is the best way to mount the box???

David

Taking the foam out won't affect anything unless you swamp it out.

Dyeguy is correct. Foam actually hurts the buoyancy of the boat when floating, as it is extra weight. Not much, so the difference is unnoticeable, but it does.

The only time the foam comes into play is if you swamp the boat. Will it say just barely above the water, or will it sink? With foam, it should stay barely floating.

Personally, on a boat used in lakes and rivers, I don't bother with it. My rational is that generally, if something happens that causes the boat to swamp, it is going to be when underway. When underway, I have a PFD on. All the lakes and rivers that I'm generally in are small enough (and I'm talking lakes like Lanier and such) that with a PFD, I am still within swimming distance of shore, and as such, that would be my best bet. It may be a little trouble, but I'll live.

In an offshore saltwater boat, if it goes down, my only hope of living is being rescued, and I am of the opinion that a 20' boat is usually an easier target to find than a lone survivor or two bobbing along in a PFD. Thus, you can bet I'd have the foam in something like that.

These are all worst case scenarios, and the chances of thus are slim. As such, I don't mind taking the risk of sinking a boat, as long as my life is not directly related to said risk.