New toy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pruitt1222

Reaction score
Well guys I have broke down and gotten myself another trolling motor. Its used, Didn't want to buy a new one incase I didn't like a foot control unit. Looked at several, from wireless remote, wireless pedal, wired digital pedal, cable steer pedal. Ended up getting a wired digital pedal model. The shaft is a little longer then I wanted but I thought it was a decent buy. Got it from the same dealer I got the boat from, He told me to test drive it for a while and if it didn't float my boat bring it back. Hope to get her mounted and tested by this weekend.It also came wit a quick release mount which might be useful.

Attachments

• Picture 492 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 492 (Medium).jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 546
  • Picture 493 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 493 (Medium).jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 546
  • Picture 494 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 494 (Medium).jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 546
Not sure which one that is but I have a #55 that looks just like it. I guess the one thing I'm unhappy about is how hard the release works to deploy the motor. Other than that it's fine. I'm trying to figure out if my model will accept the wireless control because I'm too uncoordinated to do a good job with the foot control. I spend too much time over-steering and correcting and not enough watching my bait.

Its a 55, I put it on and tried it today. I like it alot but know what you mean about steering. I noticed after playing with it if I turn the pedal sideways I have more control but cant use the momuntary on button as easy. You think 200 was too much? I really like it but wonder if I should have gotten a cable unit instead. Has a lot more power then my old on, Had the shaft all the way done at first and turn it to the side and opened it wide open and thought I fliped myself out of the boat. I was shocked how much more it had. :LOL2:

Pruitt1222 said:
You think 200 was too much?

No. I sold a 2003 40 pound powerdrive for 200 in 2008. Seems about on market value.

I didn't like it at all for bass fishing. Personally, I find the cable steer MUCH better for bass fishing, as I can concentrate entirely on fishing, and the foot deals with the trolling motor. I know what direction it is facing by the position of my foot, and the pedal is easier to operate from a standing position (can put weight evenly on both feet with a cable controlled one - with that one, you have to sort of balance on one foot, or pull the foot off to stand). With the electric steer, you constantly have to glance at the motor to see what direction it is facing, and the slower response time hurts in the oh %*$* moment right before you cream a dock, or something.

I can see owning another one on a boat set up for striper fishing, or other open water fishing, where you are all the way around the boat with multiple rods (and have the FOB over the foot pedal), but I find for bass fishing, they are quite annoying.

Try it out for a bit. You might like it, but if not, you at least can take it back. It is a sound unit, so you shouldn't have any issues with the quality. My only issue unrelated to the above (I consider the above issues as "wrong motor for the job" whereas this issue is in design) is the release. Can get kinda fussy at times. I think they may have fixed it in the V2's, however.

I have the same set up, I don't like the way you need to mount the transducer cable. It ends up only being secured at the top and bottom of the shaft, the cable just hangs free between these two spots.

I'd say $200 was a good deal. I have to confess that I haven't had a lot of practice with the foot control so I hope to get better. Inevitably though, when I'm looking at the motor to see where it's positioned is when I get a fish on. I suppose in these cases the fish catches me rather than the other way around.

A friend of mine just bout an older Skeeter BassBoat that has one of these power drives on it. Not going to lie...I absolutely hate it. It's almost impossible to keep your foot on the button and turn it at the same time.

I think $200 is a good deal.
I have one,it will get the job done.
It's alittle slow maybe even alittle noisy.
I wish there was a reverse,(I know it will go right around)but with weeds I find if there real thick I have to pull it up to get rid of them,with reverse sometimes they'll fly off in high speed.
Foot control is alittle light so I will move around abit when trying to control,on aluminum floor.(attached a rubber mat to the bottom)
I use it in auto alot,easier to control.
Sounds like I hate it but I don't,I'm on my forth season with it.