Baitwell/ Bait Tank questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
This year I'd like to start using some livebait for crappies, but my boat only has a livewell. I suppose I could use the livewell, but would rather add a separate baitwell/ bait tank.

Has anyone built one into the boat itself?
What size would be a decent enough (small enough) to keep minnows in?

I'm sure I can convert an cooler or water jug, but think it might look better built in.

I did not build one in my boat but I made a very nice one out of an orange Igloo water cooler (insulated) and a set of "bubbles" from Cabelas. Works great, even in the heat of summer for keeping crappie minnows alive. I attached the "bubbles" airator pump to the side of the cooler with screws and drilled 2 small 1/4" holes near the top for the hoses that go down to the rocks that emit the bubbles, mine is a 12 VDC pump.

From what I remember, you have a pretty big livewell. Why don't you just put the minnow bucket directly into it? You could pick up a floating minnow bucket pretty cheap I'd think.

Just an idea...

My livewell is only 20-22 x 12 (maybe) - and shallow, a bait bucket would take up half of it. I suppose for a pinch it would work.
But a fundraiser tourney I fish every year has a crappie stage. Last year we put a limit 25 in the livewell early in the day, but about half died before weigh-in at noon. If I add a minnow bucket there, I might as well just throw them in the cooler as soon as they are caught.

Initially I was thinking of addin on a "foot" to the deck and plumbing a baitwell into my livewell, Connecting the two tanks near the bottom and adding a flexible hose connected to the spraybar to add another spraybar in the baitwell. Any overflow in the baitwell would equalize in the livewell (which has an overflow built in. Then I only need two fittings and can use my current livewell pumps.

I have the wood to do it, and carpeting to cover it, but not sure how to make the box (from aluminum) - I'm not a welder.

That seems like a lot of work considering if I could just add a bubbler to a cooler and go fishing!

wasilvers said:
That seems like a lot of work considering if I could just add a bubbler to a cooler and go fishing!quote]

I agree. I say just put a bubbler in a cooler and run with it. I have the same set up(igloo and bubbles), and it works great, but I rarely ever use live bait. So when I dont need it, it isnt in the way. I think it would be different if I was using minnows everytime i hit the water, then maybe I could justify the modification.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Frabill-Min-O2-Life/737398.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Daerator%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchall%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26recordsPerPage%3D60%26search%3Daerator%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=aerator

Why don't you just use a floating minnow bucket that you can pitch over the side and be done with it? I would have to use minnows an awful lot to rig up anything other than that.

Ah, the voices of reason! Thanks for putting me straight.

The cabelas link looks good, when I searched online, that never came up before.

I searched Gander and they have one too-I must have been an idiot typing in the search box yesterday.

Ordered one with the Christmas giftcards and it's on it's way. Thanks Again!

Latest posts