I see a lot of these boats with no flooring, please read.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty.hook

Reaction score
I have been running thru all these super nice pics of remods and mods, etc. and something I see that this is missing in a lot of these remods. that is real important. When yall build decks and such and add doors and all that, it looks and is real nice, BUT.
I see a lot of these boats with no flooring. So if you have one of these doors open and you drop something small, like your dads favorite knife, there is a possibility the little item can get into one of the channels in the bottom and "be gone forever and ever"
A tackle box can turn over in rough water and spill out if not latched and some items go by by. So, you might want to add maybe a 1/4 to 3/8 bottom just for this purpose. This is from years of experience. jus' sayin'

i have flooring :D

392441822.jpg

392441820.jpg

392441691.jpg

Rusty,

Your right it can be a problem, most of the floors pull out pretty easy though.

dixie,

I love how your floors are matched to the sides perfectly. I am still building my boat and I cut my floor to fit around the ribs nice and tight but there is still a little gap in several places.

I can't tell you how many srews have already been lost in between there, lol. I have foam boards under there so they don't get too far and luckily my floors all pull out nice and easy but its still annoying.

You're right about that. When I did mine I made the joints as tight as possible and when done the carpet filled any gaps so things wouldn't slip through. I have one hatch that is lined inside with 1/2" foam sheeting. I have two hatches where the gas and battery are located that are open to the floor and the front hatch is also open to the floor. You can also buy liners for the hatches which are essentially tubs that fit inside the hatch opening and keep things from disappearing.

I see different boats have different floors. Mine I plan to keep uncovered. If something drops in a channel under a brace, it is easy to stick a finger down there and scoot it back 1", or use the end of a fishing pole to push it if it fell under a bench.
I think at some point I may add some 1/2" plywood with padding on top and bottom to deaden the sound, still going to take it out a few times before I decide for sure.

dixie_boysles Nice boat I like what you've done. My only question is in a heavy rain or someone swamping you is there a way for the water to drain to the back or to the blige pump. I've got to redo my deck this spring and may pull a few of ideas from your project.

As long as we're talking floors....anyone ever used fiberglass? I have messed with it in automotive applications and thought it might be a good choice for a permenant floor. I have ribs on the bottom of my jon and thought using some foam or plywood to bring the level up even with the ribs then layering some fiberglass over the whole floor leaving some channels down the sides to direct rain or "swamped" water to the back for draining or bilge pumping. Also I thought some coarse sand mixed in with the last coat of resin would add much needed grip. Or a coat of rubberized undercoating on top. I also thought of sandwiching some fiberglass between two thin plywood boards to make a really strong transom. I've just been tossing ideas around in my head, and I'd like to know if anyone has already discovered if they do or do not work!

po1 said:
dixie_boysles Nice boat I like what you've done. My only question is in a heavy rain or someone swamping you is there a way for the water to drain to the back or to the blige pump. I've got to redo my deck this spring and may pull a few of ideas from your project.

yep, the area behind the back bench is not carpeted or floored. That way water can evaporate or i have access to it. I currently do not have a bilge pump but will be installing one.

joshrbarker said:
As long as we're talking floors....anyone ever used fiberglass? I have messed with it in automotive applications and thought it might be a good choice for a permenant floor. I have ribs on the bottom of my jon and thought using some foam or plywood to bring the level up even with the ribs then layering some fiberglass over the whole floor leaving some channels down the sides to direct rain or "swamped" water to the back for draining or bilge pumping. Also I thought some coarse sand mixed in with the last coat of resin would add much needed grip. Or a coat of rubberized undercoating on top. I also thought of sandwiching some fiberglass between two thin plywood boards to make a really strong transom. I've just been tossing ideas around in my head, and I'd like to know if anyone has already discovered if they do or do not work!

only problem with this in a jon boat, is you want the floor removable. mine is totally removable. All I have to do is remove some rivets on the side pieces and take them out and then the floor comes out. My floor is a "floating" floor in that it is not fastened down at all. it is completely held in by the side carpeted pieces and the front of the casting deck.