Trailer spare tire security

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
Looking at the thread concerning trailer tires, it brought to mind a new topic: How many of you have the spare tire for your trailer cabled and locked to prevent [deter] theft? I use a hefty vinyl-coated cable I found at WalMart in the auto section.

A tip is to run the cable through the spare tire rim and around the trailer frame, then lock it. It won't do any good if the cable is not around the frame, as they could just unbolt (if it's the bolt-on type) the spare tire mount and walk off with everything.

One other thing I found out with this boat and also the Tracker I had, was that my lug wrench for the truck didn't fit the lugs on the trailer tires, so I picked-up one of those folding lug wrenches (also in the Walmart auto dept) and keep it in the truck.

Finally, one thing I never thought about until I took the spare off the trailer & put it in the garage for the winter, is that the bolts they used to attach the spare to the spare mount were a different size from the lugs :roll: . Had to use a deep-well socket on the backside and a cresent wrench on the other side to take the bolts off. Thank goodness I didn't have a flat this past summer.

Jim said:
I have nothing for spare, trailer, or hitch....Im going to change that this year.

This is where I am as well. Last season first time I took the trailer out of my neighborhood was cross PA at night. Not the smartest thing I ever did seeing as it is a used trailer that was used in the salt, but we made it there and back.

I have a lockable lug on my spare. As far as the lug wrench I keep a tourque wrench in my truck and check my lugs every trip and when i fill up the tank.. I had a tire come off my trailer on 95 a few years ago, so i make sure the lugs are tight..

Wayne

I remounted the spare on my camper, then used the camper spare holder and welded it to the trailer. One of the lug studs on the holder has a hole in it for a padlock. It doesnt have a lock on it yet.

I have carried a 4 way lug wrench in my truck for years and years. Had an old truck with no wrench and had a 4 way in my tool box. 4 way has been carried in my truck ever since. All 3.

Thanks man.

I had to buy 2 sets of locks because the package only came with 4 locks + the key. So I had to spend another $70 for the lock and key set for just my spare. But hey, I got spares just incase and $140 total that I spent will save me the money for a new set of wheels and heartache.

Waterwings said:
Absolutely! :)

I remember using my Tyee in September for Salmon after the derby and my trailer has a brake fluid resevoir. It is a Shore land'r trailer so someone scooped the cap from my trailer to put on theirs. Man I wish I had caught the guy who did it. :evil:

I despise thieves!

A friend of mine used to have a 16' jon and stopped at a store on the way home after fishing to get a cold drink. By the time he got in the store, got his drink, and got out, someone had taken his paddle, his anchor, and one of his batteries. He was so pissed (i don't blame him there) that he couldn't talk straight for awhile.