Modest Mods on Gregor 1244 V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking mod. I like the way you paid attention to weight. I don't think a lot do and I wonder about their results. Do you calculate the weight changes front to rear for balance? Does the blue heat up if you were barefoot on it in the summer?

I do track weight changes front to back. After the rear deck mod, it was clear the front needed more weight (or the stern needed less weight, not an option) to improve time-to-plane. So adding storage to the bow became a performance priority, not just a convenience. I also watch weight changes from side to side. That is one reason the fuel tank went from center-line to the port side and the battery was on the port side of the new storage compartment...they helped offset the weight of the driver (I steer from the starboard side of center). With a smaller boat, I found that this kind of balancing can make a real improvement in performance. I also tried to position added flotation to help ensure a level orientation in the event the tin should swamp.

The blue doesn't get real hot, but, hey, I'm in Oregon, not the South. In hotter climates I am sure it would get too hot for comfort. In any event I typically wear water sandals with slip-resistant soles when I fish in the summer.

Looks great and using your modest build for reference already, clean and lean like it. Good work!

Thank you, Sir. The next step is to change the kill button in the OB to a kill switch/lanyard arrangement. I have the parts and will post an update as soon as it's finished. I am also replacing the PFD for the driver with an inflatable-suspender style from a vest. It takes up less room and is much more convenient to wear...which means I WILL wear it more (with the lanyard attached). For me that's important since I sometimes fish alone.