Fish Finder mounting position

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super_dork

Reaction score
I just picked up a new Eagle Cuda 300 from eBay. It's a 2009 model and it's my first fish finder. Not even sure it will be that great, but more than anything I want it for depth and bottom contour. I'm trying to decide where to mount it. I have a 12' Alumacraft that I'm in the process of decking out https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=21408&hilit=miss+peach. I am thinking I will mount it on the far right of the front (the back right of the deck when sitting in the back) seat facing backward so I can see it while driving, and turn it around while trolling from the front deck. I will have to turn around to see it while trolling though and will be using a foot control trolling motor.

Any thoughts on better placement or options I may have? I don't really want to get a 2nd unit (overkill on a small boat and I'm well over budget). Any help would be great!

I have my Humminbird 581 mounted on a Blue Box made by Clam Corp. That way it is totally portable. I have the x-ducer on a portable bracket also. You run this set up off a 12v. 7amp battery.
fl-12_genz_pack.jpg

Check into a ram mount. That is the way I have mine, so It could spin around and also tilt to adjust for the sun.

Jeff

utf-8BSU1BRzAwNDcuanBn.jpg

Do you find that you need it when driving from the back or just when trolling? Having never had one, I just don't know when I will need it.

My transducer is built into the bottom of my trolling motor, so I only use it up front. I am setup to use a second graph and rear mounted transducer for running the big motor!

Jeff

X2 on the RAM mount, that's going to give you the most flexibility in terms of viewing it from various locations / angles in the boat.

Being cheap :shock: I shopped around and found that the Hummingbird 150 model had the best screen contrast for sunny conditions and the easiest operating menu for me. I mounted it on the bow shelf and even with my old bad eyesight, I can see it clearly from the tiller.

Like you, I wanted one FF that I could read from both the bow and stern. I decided on the middle seat as well, also went w/ a RAM mount. I like the location, easily seen when flying across the lake and it doesn't bother me to swivel my seat every so often when I'm up front.

I don't exactly fly usually either, the lakes that I hit most often have a 5 MPH limit and i usually just use the 8 HP, but every so often I throw on the 20 HP and make the drive somewhere else and 20 MPH or so seems pretty fast in a jon :LOL2: