Who has the Safest tin?

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
jigngrub

Who has the Safest tin?

Post by jigngrub »

How long does it take you to notice that you've launched without the drain plug in?... and do you panic when you realize it?
Rum, wenches, and song... just another day on my boat.

lbursell

Who has the Safest tin?

Post by lbursell »

jigngrub wrote:and do you panic when you realize it?

Depends on whether or not the motor cranked. :wink:
Resurrecting A 1652 MonArk
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=16589

I've grown used to doing stupid things, I just try not to have witnesses.

SVOMike86

Who has the Safest tin?

Post by SVOMike86 »

jigngrub wrote:How long does it take you to notice that you've launched without the drain plug in?... and do you panic when you realize it?
The last time we launched a boat, we forgot to put the plug in. My rod tip was hanging over the side, my buddy freaked, proceeded to pull the boat in, ran my basically brand new St. Croix rod into one of the pilings of the dock, broke the last 2ft off:( Not a good way to start a fishing trip...

wihil

Who has the Safest tin?

Post by wihil »

Went fishing with a buddy that forgot to put his plug in on his 20' tri-hull. We made it out of the launch and had just started to leave when I noticed the back was way lower than the front and he was having a bear of a time trying to get on plane.

He freaked out and almost stopped the boat - it took some ugly words for him to keep the boat moving while I tore the glove box apart looking for the plug (finally found it under his seat of all places). With the bilge and a bit of fuel we were clear again.

He now double checks before he launches. :D

C
Keepin' the wet side down.

1955 AeroCraft P / 15Hp Johnson

MDFisherman57

Who has the Safest tin?

Post by MDFisherman57 »

closes ive ever been was it still on the trailer and looking in the bilge area and going oh s*** and pulling the truck up quick lol. We noticed it early so nothing really got in the boat except like 2 in if water in the back bilge. That is the worst feeling though lol

Derek

Who has the Safest tin?

Post by Derek »

I forgot once, on my second trip with the tracker. Mine had ALOT of water in it. We launched the boat and pulled it up on the beach. At that point I realized I left the trolling motor battery at home. #-o I unhooked the trailer and drove home, grabbed the battery and went back, about 15 mins. Once I hooked up the battery we realized we couldn't push the boat off the shore. The bilge pump ran for over 10 mins @ 1000 gph.
I also now keep a spare plug on a chain in the bilge area.

SVOMike86

Who has the Safest tin?

Post by SVOMike86 »

Derek wrote:I also now keep a spare plug on a chain in the bilge area.
WHAT A GOOD IDEA!!! :LOL2:

fender66

Who has the Safest tin?

Post by fender66 »

I'd tell you that I haven't done this yet, but it would probably jinx me. So...I won't say it. :wink:
Peace,

Chris/Fender66´¯`●.¸.¸¸.●´¯`●.¸><((((º>
Every day should be Fender Day!

2011 TinBoats/BYOB Labor Day Tournament Champion :wink:

gillhunter

Who has the Safest tin?

Post by gillhunter »

I'm not sure who has the safest tin, but an experience I had last year convinced me not to remove flotation from any boat I own. My wife and I were on a week long fishing trip last summer. We came in from fishing one morning, tied up at the dock at the cabin we were staying at and decided that we needed to run into town and get some supplies. My wife was the last one out of the boat and I asked her to turn off the live well pump. It had a 3 position rocker switch, Auto - Off - Manual. (can you see were this is going?).

We return a couple of hours later and I glance out to the boat and something really looks wrong. I run out to the dock and the boat is full of water almost up to the casting decks. I figure some how the plug can out (I had a spare in the boat) and I check it and it is still in. I turn around and look at the console and the green light is on, on the live well switch. Of course she had not stopped at Off, but at Manual, and even though the live well had a overflow tube the output of the pump over powered it. The battery compartment was flooded, but the flotation had kept the powerhead on the engine out of the water. I shut off the live well pump and turned on the bilge pump and after about two hours the boat was pumped out, the engine fired back up, and we were good to go, no harm no foul.

Of course it was my fault :LOL2:

sirbeigealot

Who has the Safest tin?

Post by sirbeigealot »

I cant get my plug out, so I guess I'm safe!

jasper60103

Who has the Safest tin?

Post by jasper60103 »

sirbeigealot wrote:I cant get my plug out, so I guess I'm safe!
Yea, I only remove mine at the end of season before storing, or
unless I get caught in the rain. :LOL2:
2018 Tracker Grizzly 1648
2018 30 HP Suzuki DF30A

3dees

Who has the Safest tin?

Post by 3dees »

did it once, many years ago. ever since, I write on my transom saver " drain plug stupid" with bright yellow marker. also reminds me to remove the plug before heading home.

Dragonman

Who has the Safest tin?

Post by Dragonman »

I'm glad im not the only one who forgets to put the plug in. Thanks guys.

bcbouy

Who has the Safest tin?

Post by bcbouy »

i rarely take mine out. bilge pump, or wet vac if theres lots of small bits of fishing line
if all else fails....stop using all else

crkdltr

Who has the Safest tin?

Post by crkdltr »

I have a check list I go over before I go fishing and one of the first things I do is put the drain plug in before I leave the house. I've probably jinxed myself now. #-o