when to rebuild the transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tepponogu

Reaction score
Seeing all the threads on rebuilding transoms, it got me wondering; how do you know when its time to do this? I only run a trolling motor on mine, but would eventually like to get a little gas motor to go with it. The wood is definitely old and looking pretty rough. Its far from rotted away though. Is this something I should look at getting out of the way now, or wait and focus my attentions on other projects first? Thanks from a newb.

If it is old it certainly couldn't hurt to get it out of the way. Sometimes you can't tell how bad it is Enid what your eyes can see...

Poke it with a knife...how easy does it penetrate? Is there still a hard surface? Put up pics.

When your engine motor mounts (bolts or hand screws) draw into the aluminum and cause dents in them, I'd say it's time to replace the transom material. When the aluminum deforms, then it's a sign the wood behind it is compressing and can no longer adequately dissipate stresses of power over water or just supporting the weight of the motor.

Stove Iron said:
When your engine motor mounts (bolts or hand screws) draw into the aluminum and cause dents in them, I'd say it's time to replace the transom material. When the aluminum deforms, then it's a sign the wood behind it is compressing and can no longer adequately dissipate stresses of power over water or just supporting the weight of the motor.
I actually have wood on the outside and inside. But, you just gave me the reason I need to rebuild it though. When my trolling motor is on high, I can hear the aluminum make noose under the stress.