Sealing external transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would never use silicone on a boat ! In fact, I stay away from silicone as much as possible. Once you use it, nothing else will stick to that area ! Silicone does not have a long term life, especially on exterior surfaces. There are many products far superior to silicone, do your research and end up with better results.

And for what it’s worth, I had to use a thin pry bar to get the motor off, because it didn’t come loose when unbolted. The bond and seal was excellent
But....paint nor any other type sealant will never adhere to that surface again...once siliconed, only silicone can be applied the next time. Realky sucks if you plan on painting that area. 24 years ago we built a home with vinyl siding. There were a few areas where small plastic trim pieces need to be glued into position. The builder used silicone for about 60% of the little repairs before he ran out of silicone. They used goop to finnish up the trim. The silicone areas all let go within the first 15 years, the goop connections are still holding strong after 24 years and two tornadoes.

Acetone or Denatured Alcohol will clean up silicone residue, but it's a pain to clean up. Silicone is best used in a compression situation - in-between parts - not on the surface.

For siding, Lexi is good stuff, as is the OSI caulk made for siding, of course. Never used Goop on a house, but that is good information. I might start using it again.