Fuse Size Trolling Motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snitzel

Reaction score
I have a Minn Kota Rip Tide 55# thrust TM. Any recommendations on size of the fuse I should put inline? Also, is there a recommended distance from the battery that you would recommend. Also, can I put a plug that matched the TM plug on my charger and charge my battery by inserting this plug into the TM plug that goes back to the battery?

I'm not sure about the size fuse, so I'd make a call to Minnkota. I'm guessing it's around 50, but when it comes to melting wires and fires on boats..... I'd feel more comfortable taking the info from the mfg.

Closest to the battery is best. You're trying to protect the wire before you get to the motor.

I don't think the TM plug idea works for the charger.

Take all this with a grain of salt, as I'm the least qualified electrical member on the site. Hopefully, someone else will chime in for ya.

the owners manual should state the size needed/suggested, look for a "breaker" type fuse and it can be reset by pushing a button. The fuse/breaker should be w/in 18" of the batt if all possible. A breaker type set up can be mounted right on the battery post, and easy to install.

As Brine said, mount an inline fuse or circuit breaker as close to the battery as possible, you are trying to protect the wiring and prevent a fire in case of a short. I suggest running #6 wire as close as you can to the trolling motor then install your plug. I run 2 batteries, (one at a time) through a switch and a 60 Minn Kota circuit breaker, to power a Minn Kota 55 lb. Endura C2.

As for charging the battery back though the plug, I don't know.

Attachments

• 031211 004P.jpg
    031211 004P.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,435
  • 040311 003P.jpg
    040311 003P.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,435
What is your current setup with the battery? Are you powering any other electronics with that battery?

You could go with Minn Kota TM power center. I used 2 of them in my boat. The have a built in 60 amp breaker for the TM and a 10 amp breaker for two accessory sockets. Then you can hang a dongle out of the battery box for your charger. I wired mine to an onboard charger.
You can use a dongle like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Terminal-Disconnect/dp/B000NCOKZQ/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1327258760&sr=1-1-catcorr

https://www.amazon.com/MinnKota-Trolling-Motor-Power-Center/dp/B001PTHKMG