Wirewheel for angle grinder

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwave

Reaction score
I tried to use a rough sandpaper wheel and an orbital sander to remove the old paint on the hull and interior. In my case too time consuming. I do not want to use stripper due to cost....I just read a previous thread that showed how the wire wheel did the job....looks fast too. I am not too concerned about the inside, but I want to get all the paint off the outside. Feedback please......
BigwaveOnH20
[/url][/img]

I tried using both the 3M paint stripper wheel and the wire wheels. In my application (trying to remove truck bed liner or similar product) the 3M paint stripper wheel was essentially worthless as the liner simply ate the wheel right up. The course wire wheel however did make a dent. Just have to be careful as it will wear the aluminum thin if you really lean on it for extended periods of time.

I would suggest a wire wheel, but to be careful with it not to ware down your aluminum. Also after you are done for the day you will want to wash/rinse off the area you worked on to avoid any burs that my be in contact with your boat to avoid future corrosion.

I've used both kinds of wire wheels and Airplane stripper together. Worked well for me. When using wire wheels....wear eye protection. Like already said....they will throw wires.

The bottom of my boat is full of wires right now. Even the little tiny ones for my Dremel throw wires after they've been used a bit.

A wire wheel will get the job done, but as stated, wear glasses, because these things are notorious for slinging wires that will stick into your skin, or your eye. Be VERY careful when you get into a corner, or near an edge, as the wire wheel can grab, and kick the grinder back at you, the wheel can quickly wrap in clothing, or make impact with your skin. I know all this, because I've had it happen to me!

Another precaution is working around rivets, wire wheels can quickly eat a rivet up, and then it will start leaking.

It is preferable to use a stainless wire wheel to clean aluminum, of course, that's a special order item, and they're about 60 dollars a piece! If you're using a regular steel wheel to clean aluminum, you should follow up with a phosphoric acid wash, then a rinse, to neutralize any iron oxide contamination left from the steel wheel.

for the outside of mine, i started with wire wheel and eventually went to stripper b/c of time and labor! If you get a couple quarts of zipstrip for 10-14 dollars it should be plenty to do your boat. I did my 17 1/2 ft lowe with 2 cans. 2-3 hours stripper vs. days with sander/wire wheel!

I'm not a fan of regular wire wheels for paint removal.

I do like wire cup brushes on a grinder or a flap disk though.

Ear plugs, safety glasses, dust mask, face shield, gloves, hat, long sleeves, etc.

Thank you all for the tips......I have run the full circle with each tip. This is my first build and I want the hull to look good. I used stripper on the outside followed by a good pressure washer....now I find that the wire-wheel seems to get the rest of the residue off. Now for the inside....this is where I need some more input. I think that since the old factory paint and primer was such a ***** to get off, I might just scuff the inside down and primer right over it. Do ya'll think the bedliner will get a good bond over the old stuff? I will be decking over that so I am not concerned with the overall finish....I just want a good bond. I also am a little concerned with the sealant that goes between the sheet aluminum and the rivets on the hull... seems that the stripper loosened it up, can I just re-seal with 5200 before I prime the bottom? If not what should I use.....I also would like some Ideas for the bottom paint.....not sure I need to go the steel-flex way or not.....suggestions please.

Thanks
Kevin

I have stripped most of my boat with two gallons. I still have some of the bottom to go, but I also have 1/2 gallon left. I buy it by the gallon for around $20 each from the local home depot.

IMO it's the best way if you want to remove paint. I don't like the idea of removing any aluminum. The stuff is thin enough as it is.