New 14 footer, flooring modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PikeSlayer

Reaction score
Ok, so I put some feelers out on a different thread, but didn't have much of a response. I've got my sights pretty well locked in on a 70's 14' Mirrocraft Deep V. I'm new to the concept of boat ownership. I grew up fishing out of 14' and 16' aluminum boats, but never one with more of a modification than some flooring between the seats. I would really like to put flooring in the bottom of this boat, but want some advice before I pull the trigger on this boat. This boat has 3 bench seats. My thought is that I can remove the middle bench seat and put flooring between the back seat and the forward seat. Then I want to deck from the top of the front seat to the front of the boat so I can mount a bow mount trolling motor. I have inherited a 2 year old Merc 10 horse 4 stroke. My big questions are if adding decking to a boat this size (about 220 lbs empty) will cause it to be kind of a dog with just a 10 horse, and if removal of the middle seat will cause issues with the strength/stability of the boat?

Here are pics of the boat I'm looking at. What would you guys consider to be a fair asking price for a boat like this? I'll definitely need to sand and paint the trailer as well as the boat. I am just wondering what is a guess at a fair asking price. Thanks!

Attachments

• 5G75Fb5Ha3G23Id3Lac2ad05c7e3811731391.jpg
    5G75Fb5Ha3G23Id3Lac2ad05c7e3811731391.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 487
  • 5I55F45Jb3G93M73H7c2ad2ca25003a881b83.jpg
    5I55F45Jb3G93M73H7c2ad2ca25003a881b83.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 487
  • 5Ib5Ka5M33Gd3I93Fbc2a43130754d2ac1c08.jpg
    5Ib5Ka5M33Gd3I93Fbc2a43130754d2ac1c08.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 487
$200 on the low, $500 on the high. When I go to look at older tins I make sure the braces aren't cracked that run port to starboard. Then to see if there is any hull damage, look closely at the seams and rivets. Everything else is usually pretty easy to fix. When you remove the seats it does take away from some of the integrity though keeping two is better than removing two. You should be fine. There are alternatives to heavy wood flooring. If you take a look at the mod forum some members are using aluminum bracing and sheets. Less weight and will not rot but cost is higher. Decking the front seat up will most likely be unable to stand upon without falling in the drink. If you bring it back further you could the platform for more than just to mount a trolling motor and add some additional storage.

HP/Weight ratio will be your biggest enemy with this setup but a 10hp should do just fine. Especially with just yourself in the boat you will need additional weight in on bow. Two people and a deck might be an old cat, but I don't think a dog. Nice motor!

I just seen somthing similar on my local Clist w/trailer for $300 so i'd say not much more than that. Maybe $400. I have seen from reading on these threads that location can dictate price. Take a look at what other similar deals are selling for.

As far as removing the middle seat, I don't really know. I believe I have seen that done on other threads and would want to do the same if it were mine. Just keep the weight capacity in mind.

I see a nice blank canvas, Good Luck

Forgot to mention, make sure the paperwork is good. Registration in the sellers name, boat has a HIN or Reg # etc.. Without these you cannot put a motor on the boat while using it on a pubic waterway.

Sixgun, can you clarify for me about the registration? Like I said, this will be my first boat. Do boats have registration and titles like cars do? Also, for a small boat, is there a need for insurance like there is on a car? This guy is asking $425 for the boat and $175 for the trailer which seems high to me. He says that there is no damage, dents or scratches on the boat. The problem is its a 2 hour drive for me. Add the cost of gas for my truck, and he won't negotiate over the phone, I'm wondering what I should realistically offer if I'm to drive all the way out.

That price is too high for the hull, for a trailer IF in semi good condition it's fair. I'd keep shopping. Two hours is a long drive to get there and be disappointed. Especially if that trailer won't make it back home.

Each state is different. Easiest way to figure out what you need is to call your local DMV and ask. In FL they want titles. In AL they only need bill of sale from the last registered owner. If you buy a boat from someone that's not the last owner, or doesn't have a title you have to find the person that was and beg for proper paperwork. Which you might never find them, or discover it was stolen, or lost, etc etc.. Sometimes it was never registered and was used in a pond, Then you will have to have proof of this by contacting state marine police. Your first question should be, " Is the boat registered in your name?", If your in a title state, " Do you have the title in your name?". If not, have a good day.

Looking at this boat I don't see any numbers. It will most likely have a Hull ID, like a VIN# on a car which are usually located on our around the transom. If there isn't one then depending on your state to register it a marine policeman will have to come and inspect and issue it a new one. (easiest method IMO) If that number comes up to a previous owner from 1970 you will need a bill of sale from him. Not the non negotiator. Though DMV's are friendly than others keep in mind there have been members that have bought boats and couldn't get them registered.

Insurance isn't a requirement anywhere near me and I assume it's the same elsewhere. Some people have boats that cost more than I make in 5years which is why it exists.

Thanks sixgun! I was thinking of offering $500 for the rig. He said he won't negotiate over the phone so I figure I'll leave a standing offer (assuming he has title or bill of sale etc...) and get him to accept before I drive out. Otherwise I'll keep on waiting. I've seen some hammered 14' alumacrafts with trailer and 6 horse + motors for $450 which makes me think this guy is asking a lot!