DIY PVC Grab Bar

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfa4303

Reaction score
Hi all. Here's my latest PVC contraption. It's a removable yet rock solid grab bar made from 1.5" PVC pipe and fittings. It's attached to the hull using Stainless Steel hardware through-bolted into inverted PVC caps which are themselves attached to the bench and ribs of the hull using more SS hardware. Best of all, the entire assembly and/or top bar alone are easily removable if need be and I now have room for a small cooler behind the front seat which can still rotate and be removed as before. Best of all, I was able to attach a junk tray for my camera, phone, etc... and a drink holder! All and all it was a fun little project. I know PVC won't last forever, but I should get several good years worth of use out of it and it matches the rest of my cheap-o, DIY, PVC themed boat. So far I've made a PVC tiller extension, rod holders, umbrella holders, bilge pump and grab bar, but I'm sure I'll thinking of something else soon enough. Cheers!

Attachments

• PVC Grab Bar 1.jpg
    PVC Grab Bar 1.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 2,157
  • PVC Grab bar 2.jpg
    PVC Grab bar 2.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 2,157
  • PVC Grab bar 5.jpg
    PVC Grab bar 5.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 2,157
  • PVC Grab bar 4.jpg
    PVC Grab bar 4.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 2,157
Very interesting. I like the ingenuity.

Have you thought about making a garage for your boat yet? :LOL2:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-05-10 at 8.14.44 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-05-10 at 8.14.44 AM.png
    580.8 KB · Views: 2,016
Thanks. That is a funky looking building with the world's driest roof. PVC power! I suppose I may paint it eventually to give it some UV protection, but I'll probably just paint it white :) I can't believe how strong it is. I can grab it and literally shake the entire boat on the trailer and it easily supports my weight. The best part is that I actually gained usable space and have less stuff rattling around in the boat. I can't wait to use the junk tray and cup holder! Even though they're completely incidental, I think they're my favorite part. Now if I could just build a PVC outboard I'd be all set.

PVC projects to date: Tiller extension, rod holder, bilge pump, grab rail........

Attachments

• bilge pump 2.jpg
    bilge pump 2.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 2,012
  • rod holder and tiller extension.jpg
    rod holder and tiller extension.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 2,012
  • PVC Grab Bar 1.jpg
    PVC Grab Bar 1.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 2,014