Flooring question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntroilo1288

Reaction score
I just purchased a 97 Starcraft Sf 14 I want to add a shallow floor just to get me off of the ribs whats the lightest material to use and best way to attach it to the floor

If you are interested, I'll tell you what I intend on doing with my 1436. I'm just going to use 1/2" plywood cut to size and covered with indoor/outdoor carpeting, then laid onto the ribs. I don't even plan on attaching it in any way. I think its weight will keep it in place. I also think being able to lift it out easily has its benefits.

If anyone reading this sees a problem with what I'm doing, please chime in.

My plan is just about the same, except I'm lining between the ribs with foam board. Gives a bit more support, and sound deadening. (I don't want the board slapping against the ribs as I walk)

I have 1/2 inch ply (treated with 3 coats spar urethane) with carpet laying on the ribs as well. I usually throw the battery on it when trailering because I read about a guy that had his mods blow out on the interstate. If I didn't have the battery - I would likely attach it to the seat bases with with angle brackets and self tapping screws.

Huh.... thats a great idea about the foam. I had thought about it only from a floatation perspective and discounted it. But providing a filler AND an aid to deaden sound... well, it didn't occur to me.

I might decide to attach the floor. Often, things and ideas change a dozen times while doing a project. Sure wouldn't want my handiwork out on the highway or in someone's windshield!

It will finally be in the low sixties here over the weekend. I intend on picking up the needed materials tomorrow and start. Hopefully I'll have it in the water by late this month. :D