MinnKota SP install...need a little advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbweimar

Reaction score
Fellas, I had the new motor laid up on the bow for placement, wondering if I HAD to have the quick release bracket. This is the only configuration i could come up with.

I couldnt find any other way to place the motor, so that the shaft didnt stick out the side of the boat. I sure could use some advice on how to mount this bad boy.

I have a Terrova on a Tracker PT 175 but my boat has more metal up front on the bow to make mounting easier than what you have. Suggest you find some 1/4-1/2" aluminum plate (scrap if possible) and mount it to the boat then mount the TM to the alum plate. You can brace the backside of the alum plate down to the floor with an upright brace or something similar. Another possiblity is to get a 4x4 post and mount it that way to support the TM base (cheaper maybe). Or 2x4's.

Just remember that the shaft needs clearance on the leading edge of the boat of 1' to 1 1/2" so the shaft is vertical when deployed. Love my Terrova but its a pain to mount.

Thanks TN. I'll probably end up doing that. And my boat is worse because flat part that the motor would mount to, sets back from the edge, so that means I have to mount it THAT much further up.this thing will look goofy for sure when its mounted.

GO VOLS!

Yeah, I don't like the way they mount but they are good TM's, even better with an Ipilot. I used a socket about 1' long or so to get the spacing right for the shaft when deployed, just taped to it to the TM shaft or the leading edge of the boat and have not had any problems with deploying or stowing the TM. GL

Miles, take a run over to Metal Fab of Tally. Look at my build, they fabbed one up and you'll have a far easier time with placement and it won't "look goofy" !