Overhead application of Gluvit????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winddog

Reaction score
Hello All
Has anyone ever tried applying Gluvit on the underside of an alum. boat hull with the boat still rightside up?

Thank you.

That would be mission impossible. Gluvit is designed to be a very thin, runny, drippy product to be used on the inside of the hull with the boat in the upright position. It'd designed to run into all of the minute cracks and crevices.

Even with the boat upside down and applying gluvit to the exterior isn't a good application. It just wants to run over the top and run/drip down without really penetrating anything... and then it has to be painted to prevent UV breakdown.

The only way you can permanently fix leaks in an aluminum boat from the outside is to replace rivets and apply riveted on patches to cracks and such. Everything else needs to be addressed from the inside of the hull.

This is an easy way to replace leaking rivets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MA1-5NXjs&feature=related

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=352277#p352277 said:
jigngrub » Today, 11:33[/url]"]That would be mission impossible. Gluvit is designed to be a very thin, runny, drippy product to be used on the inside of the hull with the boat in the upright position. It'd designed to run into all of the minute cracks and crevices.

Even with the boat upside down and applying gluvit to the exterior isn't a good application. It just wants to run over the top and run/drip down without really penetrating anything... and then it has to be painted to prevent UV breakdown.

The only way you can permanently fix leaks in an aluminum boat from the outside is to replace rivets and apply riveted on patches to cracks and such. Everything else needs to be addressed from the inside of the hull.

This is an easy way to replace leaking rivets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MA1-5NXjs&feature=related

Thanks jigngrub I wish I just had leaky rivets.;-(

What kind of boat do you have?

Tinnies are easy to take apart and put back together if someone hasn't made the mistake of gluing carpet down over the decking after the decking has already been fasten down in the boat. I've taken my Tracker apart twice in the 16 yrs. I've had it and it only takes about 3 hrs. to completely disassemble it:

The first time I took it apart for new carpet, the second time was to change over from carpet to vinyl:

Putting it back together takes about the same amount of time depending on what you do different to the boat when it's apart.

If you have leaking seams, then gluvit on the inside is the only way to go. If you have leaking seams and rivets, you need to replace the rivets and gluvit the seams and the rest of the rivets from the inside for preventive measures.

If your boat has been leaking for a while you may have saturated floatation foam and it should be removed and replaced with new. Saturated foam can add hundreds of pounds of extra weight to your boat and slow it down, it also loses it's buoyancy when it saturates and won't float your boat in case of an emergency.

Also, depending on the severity of the leak, and the location, you could try applying some gluvit with a brush or something to get it into the seams etc from the underside (if thats where the leaks are). Like they said, not ideal at all, it works great from inside the boat. You won't get nearly as good of coverage and penetration of the leak.

Worth a shot if you aren't able to get to the interior easily like jigngrub suggested.

My boat had a fair amount of leaks at rivets and seams, but i did a complete gutting and was able to apply gluvit on the inside. Afterwards I did go underneath and apply some with a brush as well just to use up extra gluvit and give it some added protection.

I have a 15' Valco Westcoaster. The leak is around some welding work that was done. Here's a link to my post about it.
https://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/boats-motors-gear/111405-aluminum-brazing.html

Oooops :oops:

Attachments

• original damage 2.jpg
    original damage 2.jpg
    704.2 KB · Views: 2,286
  • brace.JPG
    brace.JPG
    738.4 KB · Views: 2,285
  • fixed.jpg
    fixed.jpg
    895.4 KB · Views: 2,285
The leak I'm trying to stop now is were the plate was welded to the floor between the two new braces.

Ok, that doesn't look too bad and is a pretty easy fix.

It looks like whoever did the repair was headed in the right direction but just didn't follow through with everything needed.

That can be easily fixed with a patch on the exterior. You'll need a piece of .063 aluminum, a box of closed end blind rivets, and a marine sealant like Loc-tite marine epoxy or 3M 5200 or JB Weld marine.

Cut the patch to fit over the affected area and then drill your rivet holes in the patch, about 1" on center around the perimeter. Then hold the patch in place on the exterior and drill a couple of rivet holes. Remove the patch and back butter with sealant and place it on the affected area lining up the rivet holes and rivet in place. Drill and install the rest of the rivets. Let the sealant setup and cure and no more problems.

Here's a thread with pics from another site that shows how easy and effective the repair is:
https://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/tracker-hull-damage-lots-536250.html

Thanks again jigngrub.

As it stands now I am bringing it back to the shop that did the final repair so they can correct the leak. This has been a long and frustrating ride. I started thinking about Gulvit & Marinetex after I found out the second trip to this outfit resulted in yet another leak. After telling them how I felt about the quality of the repair, and telling them I was through with them they asured me that this time the repair would be right. I was all ready to tellm' they had their chance (two chances as a matter of fact) But I was advised by a couple people I respect that I was being a a## hole and should give this outfit a nother chance. The two people were my Wife & my main fishing buddy.
So Monday I'm taking back to them & they are supposed to fix it while I wait. ( The shop is about 5 hours round trip.)

Sense I had all ready ordered the Gluvit I will probably use it over the repair after they fix it, just to be safe.

I would not apply ANYTHING to the leak until it was fixed to my satisfaction!!!... and again, if you apply gluvit you have to paint over it to protect it from U breakdown.

WD, I'd say that you're either a much better man than I am or you're a bigger glutton for punishment... or, I'm a much bigger a-hole than you are. Still having a leak in that boat after 2 attempts would be the breaking point for me, fixing a leaky aluminum boat isn't rocket science or brain surgery... it's not even rocket surgery or brain science! Testing to see if you have the leak stopped is easy, you put water in the hull and wait for a little while and check to see if there's water on the outside or ground.

I'm not trying to make you mad or whizz you off, it's just that I have a huge problem with inept people working on my boat, mainly because I've been ripped off twice by supposed professionals that didn't fix my boat the way it was supposed to be fixed. There's still one shop in town here where I would love (and have contemplated) going down there with a baseball bat and breaking everyones legs... of course I'm not going to do it, but I do think about it.

I sympathize with you and if you lived closer I'd fix your leak(s) for free, you just supply the materials.

I hope your problem is fixed this time and you go out and catch a bunch of fish to celebrate... and if you do, post us some pics of celebratory fish please.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=352547#p352547 said:
jigngrub » 16 May 2014, 18:23[/url]"]I would not apply ANYTHING to the leak until it was fixed to my satisfaction!!!... and again, if you apply gluvit you have to paint over it to protect it from U breakdown.

WD, I'd say that you're either a much better man than I am or you're a bigger glutton for punishment... or, I'm a much bigger a-hole than you are. Still having a leak in that boat after 2 attempts would be the breaking point for me, fixing a leaky aluminum boat isn't rocket science or brain surgery... it's not even rocket surgery or brain science! Testing to see if you have the leak stopped is easy, you put water in the hull and wait for a little while and check to see if there's water on the outside or ground.

I'm not trying to make you mad or whizz you off, it's just that I have a huge problem with inept people working on my boat, mainly because I've been ripped off twice by supposed professionals that didn't fix my boat the way it was supposed to be fixed. There's still one shop in town here where I would love (and have contemplated) going down there with a baseball bat and breaking everyones legs... of course I'm not going to do it, but I do think about it.

I sympathize with you and if you lived closer I'd fix your leak(s) for free, you just supply the materials.

I hope your problem is fixed this time and you go out and catch a bunch of fish to celebrate... and if you do, post us some pics of celebratory fish please.

Hey jigngrub I sure appricate the thought!

So I brought her back one more time, this time the work was done while I waited and the welds look great! I think she's fixed!

Latest posts