Clear coat over Gluvit. Enamel or lacquer?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liimbix

Reaction score
Hey y’all! Bought my first boat ever last week and sealed up the main seam with gluvit, as it had a couple of small leaks. It has set for 48 hours and dried pretty much clear. I’d like to just clear coat over the 2” strip of gluvit, as I do not need to repaint the whole boat. Is there any problem using lacquer clear coat? Or should I use an enamel clear coat on the gluvit. Thanks!

Bit of an odd question to answer from my experience. Generally speaking, any top coat can be used if it's epoxy friendly, so I suppose the specific research needs to be done with your unique choices of product. Not sure a blanket answer can apply.
But that being said, Gluvit application usually requires a bare metal, sanded surface, so I've never really run into a clear coat scenario.
Also, for what it's worth, Gluvit isn't UV-protected so the typical topcoat is a paint - after which, the normal clear-coat rules apply.

Keep us informed of your decisions. I'd like to know the outcome of doing it this way.

Epoxies need to be over-coated to shield it from UV rays ... not sure if the choice is lacquer or enamel as much as it is CLEAR vs COLORED.

When I had a large offshore boat with many, many pieces of brightly finished teak brightwork, I epoxied them and then varnished over them with 4 to 6 coats of varnish ... and still I would be removing a few sun damaged pieces a year and re-coating with varnish. If I as 'late' re-doing the varnish coats and the epoxy coat had sun damage ... I'd have to mechanically strip the whole piece and start again. The boat was a ;looker', but the effort and process was an absolute pain in the arse, just one 'other' chore to be done!

By the same token, I also had epoxy-coated plywood pieces (same Raka epoxy mix) painted with 2 coats of a 1-part marine paint to match my hull color and those lasted so well that I NEVER had to re-paint them! The 'tint' blocked any UV effects.