Woohooo....didn't sink it. First water for my new/old boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodscavenger

Reaction score
I took my 1436 out for the first time. Weather and work have not cooperated. Finally got the chance today.

My previous experience has been 18-23' ski boats. Well lets just say this was a bit of a learning experience. I took my two youngest out today. The others have no interest in fishing. We unloaded without difficulty. We used the newly installed 40# trolling motor to get away from the dock so I could fight the gas OB without onlookers. Being 1972 vintage I wasn't sure what I would be up against.

It started after a few pulls. Having never used a tiller steer it took a bit of experiementing which was fun. Spun some circles closer to the dock to see how well it turns and handles waves. Obviously a bit more tippy than my ski boat but fun. I didn't have a GPS to clock my speed but it moved better than expected on the smooth water. I would guess somewhere around 15-20mph. It may just seem faster being so close to the water.

We went up stream then fished......Fished is a loose term however since we know nothing about how to do it. I've watched videos and read articles. Over the last 4 years have caught maybe 2 trout and 10 bass in our limited outings. The fish were ignoring us but the kids had a great time.

Overall a success!!

Next up. Finish the floor. Add a locker up front for storage and figure out how to store the rods during travel and during boat time so we don't keep stepping on them.

I need to work on the OB. It dies a low idle. Hopefully just an idle adjust screw.

Congrats on getting out there on the water!

I'm envious, got a bit to go before I'm out but always a good feeling, especially if you can take the kids.

Congratulations...

You are a brave guy. Boat that you are not familiar with....motor that you are not familiar with...bring two kids......and off you go!... Hope you had a paddle...Ha Ha

richg99

2 paddles!!

good life jackets!!

and a working trolling motor with a charged battery!

We stayed pretty close at first and only went up stream. The small reservoir has enough of a current to bring you back. We drifted fishing for a bit and the boat move pretty easy with the paddles so we would have been good.

I made sure not to take it out until I had acquired the trolling motor. :D

I must say the thing turns on a dime and I need to be careful slowing down so as not to get swamped from behond. No bilge pump yet. I will probably add a simple one just for peace of mind.

Adding my congrats to your first outing in your new fishing machine. From a lifetime of aluminum boats and older motors my primary rule (after life preservers and other safety items) is ALWAYS GO UPSTREAM. Second rule is to not judge the success of a fishing outing by the number of fish caught but rather by the whole experience. (Of course, feeling a tug on the line is about the best thing ever though) I think that most every valuable life lesson that a kid needs to learn from his dad can be found in a boat with a fishing pole in hand.

I also am in awe of you for taking your kids with you. You're providing memories for them that they will never forget and teaching them skills that they will always value. Thanks for sharing !!!